How long do conchs usually sit there for?

Alpha_and_Gec

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2023
Messages
743
Reaction score
480
Location
Vancouver, BC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom wanted to get a conch, so I got one at the lfs today. It's just sitting there, doing nothing. I've had a conch way back when my tank first started, which did the same thing and eventually died after a month or so, seemingly stuck under the sand. Is this normal conch behaviour or am I missing something? There's not really anything for it to eat right now so I'd think it should probably be running around in search of food.
ignore the cerith, it's doing just fine lol

1694931314344.png
 
They can sit for a while, I've seen mine not move for a week or so.

Assuming it was moving at the shop, it's just acclimating - it'll move when it's hungry.
 
They can sit for a while, I've seen mine not move for a week or so.

Assuming it was moving at the shop, it's just acclimating - it'll move when it's hungry.
yeah it was the most skittly one at the store... and it jumped a couple of times in the bag lol
should I specifically feed it or will it just eat whatever the engi and the dascyllus leaves?
 
Mine didn’t move for a couple weeks when it was new. Thought it was dead and didn’t want it to fowl the water so grabbed it and sure enough was still alive. Every once in a while the conch won’t move for several days but then becomes active again. Usually you can spot their eyes moving ever so slightly to give you some signs of life. IMO, what you are experiencing is pretty common.
 
yeah it was the most skittly one at the store... and it jumped a couple of times in the bag lol
should I specifically feed it or will it just eat whatever the engi and the dascyllus leaves?
They're really good at keeping substrate clean as they eat any leftover food. They eat quite a lot.
How big is your tank?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new