How long do spores last on dry rock?

Marine Iguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all! I’m in the process of setting up a new tank right now.

I have some rock from my last system that I tore down about 4 years ago that I want to re-use for this system. I’m trying to put a lot of effort on the front end that will hopefully pay off in the long run. My question is this- I want to make sure I don’t introduce aiptasia or problematic nuisance algae into this system. The rock has been dried and encrusted with salt for 4 years- would you still recommend an acid or bleach bath? Or am I okay to just start curing it. I’ve been looking for information on how long algal spores might be able to last in these conditions and haven’t found any info.

Thanks for any input, looking forward to getting my new tank wet and sharing the progress with you guys!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i would assume they last quite a long time, given that some vendors sell "dry" live rock which is then activated once in water. i would suggest to wait for other input from other members though!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not to concerned about organics, just the spores. @shakacuz that would make sense!
You should definitely be concerned about the organics, because if not you might get very high nutrients which fuels algae growth. Algae spores is very ambiguous, do you mean Green Hair Algae? Because if so, you’ll get that regardless. You can’t eradicate algae by going sterile since it will ALWAYS find a way in (unless your tank is a Petri dish).

OP
OP
Marine Iguana

Marine Iguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be baking the rock in a 50g tub in darkness for a couple months to establish it, so by then any nutrients from organics on the rock surface should be decayed and removed.

“Algal spores” is kind of intentionally ambiguous since there are so many algaes that can be introduced to a system. I’m not concerned about hair algaes, I’m more cautious with valonia and some of the more invasive turf algaes. And I do agree that it is impossible to prevent algae in general from getting into your tank, but I do believe that extensive quarantine can prevent the addition of particular noxious species if you take the right steps.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

• Other.

Back