How long do you run blue LEDS

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a AI Prime HD. I run Blues as high as they’ll go. Same with UV and Violet. Red and Green at about 5% and white just under 50%. Everything is happy. It’s a 30 gallon.
I have 2 AI primes on a nuvo 30. Its long and a little shallow. I only run my UV at no more than 10% same with the violet. Blues are 65% cycle. So low to high to low. White is also never above 10%. I have the non hd version, but I noticed that when I had uv on at 50%, my corals did not like it lol. I'm glad you found a setting that works for you. I have learned and am constantly learning that light is so important. About as important as the water chemistry. In my opinion, having so many photo options on the AI prime makes it a little difficult to nail down the perfect settings. Especially if you have spa and lps. Again, glad you have a setting that works for you.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 AI primes on a nuvo 30. Its long and a little shallow. I only run my UV at no more than 10% same with the violet. Blues are 65% cycle. So low to high to low. White is also never above 10%. I have the non hd version, but I noticed that when I had uv on at 50%, my corals did not like it lol. I'm glad you found a setting that works for you. I have learned and am constantly learning that light is so important. About as important as the water chemistry. In my opinion, having so many photo options on the AI prime makes it a little difficult to nail down the perfect settings. Especially if you have spa and lps. Again, glad you have a setting that works for you.
Sry, my violet is at 30%.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand now!! Blue LEDS is for the color pop and the daylight white bulbs are for growth and heatlh of corals!??!

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two Giesemann Aqua Blue Coral. They are similar to ATI Coral Plus. I have also done one Aqua Blue Coral and One Blue Plus (or Giesemann equivalent). I prefer the whiter look when the T5s are on, especially with the blue LEDS
LEDS are for the color pop? and T5 whites are for the growth and vigor of the corals?

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The T5s aren't white, they are a full spectrum bulb. So we may have oversimplified it some

heifinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to be conservative with my light schedule 12:00pm 6:00pm

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do.
In fact , daylight is 5600 degrees kelvin. Outside in a valley with no direct sunlight can be as high as 20,000 kelvin.

It depends on the bulb. You can mix colors a number of ways to get 10,000. If one uses little yellow read and orange , it’s not a problem.
The needs of algaes and coral are pretty close. One can grow really great algae with a Radion or kessil.

Many people have noted exceptional growth with 6500k but boring coloration; I wouldn't associate slow growth with 6500k lighting.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about mixing T5 and LED when I get a larger tank. Everything that I have heard about that method leads me to believe that it is the superior option versus one or the other. I would have to do a lot of research before I felt comfortable with it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about mixing T5 and LED when I get a larger tank. Everything that I have heard about that method leads me to believe that it is the superior option versus one or the other. I would have to do a lot of research before I felt comfortable with it.
If all these types of reef lights grow coral very well , I’d say none is superior.

Many do report sucess with the addition yes. But they may also have just added 400 + par. (4x4 t5)

The real problem with leds? The dimmmer.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is that?
can you explain?
The difficulty with leds and the dimmer is. People are left to guess what intensity setting they need to be on. And then messing with it with no real idea of the impact on par intensity.
20% change could be 100 par or 20 par from fixture to fixture.
A t5 fixture will deliver the same par consistently and most can’t be changed.(the new t5 dimmer thing I don’t think is a great idea in general)
Most t5 fixtures give a more par intensity than most belive they do consistently so the anecdotal observation is they work better.
That’s my .02 anyway.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difficulty with leds and the dimmer is. People are left to guess what intensity setting they need to be on. And then messing with it with no real idea of the impact on par intensity.
20% change could be 100 par or 20 par from fixture to fixture.
A t5 fixture will deliver the same par consistently and most can’t be changed.(the new t5 dimmer thing I don’t think is a great idea in general)
Most t5 fixtures give a more par intensity than most belive they do consistently so the anecdotal observation is they work better.
That’s my .02 anyway.
That's interesting and makes a ton of sense.

Dawgvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a slight discrepancy in the article you linked regarding rhodopsin.

*Rhodopsin is a photosensitive pigment found in many animals' eyes (including humans) within receptors called cones. Cones and their rhodopsin content enable us to see in very low light conditions. Rhodopsin collects light in wavelengths of about 400nm (violet) to red (at ~600nmn) but most strongly in the blue-green portion of the spectrum (Hunt, 1987).

In animals (as I’m sure in humans) cones allow for color vision, rods mainly allow for black/white/grey vision. It is the rods that allow for better vision in low light conditions and contain rhodopsin. Cones contain photopsin proteins. A cat’s retina contain a higher number of rods compared to humans (6 times more) and that’s why they see better at night but have poorer color vision in the daytime.
Sorry for the off topic

Last edited:

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a slight discrepancy in the article you linked regarding rhodopsin.

*Rhodopsin is a photosensitive pigment found in many animals' eyes (including humans) within receptors called cones. Cones and their rhodopsin content enable us to see in very low light conditions. Rhodopsin collects light in wavelengths of about 400nm (violet) to red (at ~600nmn) but most strongly in the blue-green portion of the spectrum (Hunt, 1987).

In animals (as I’m sure in humans) cones allow for color vision, rods mainly allow for black/white/grey vision. It is the rods that allow for better vision in low light conditions and contain rhodopsin. Cones contain photopsin proteins. A cat’s retina contain a higher number of rods compared to humans (6 times more) and that’s why they see better at night but have poorer color vision in the daytime.
Sorry for the off topic
thanks you

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back