How long do you run blue LEDS

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana, I don't run blues... I run ALL 10k daylight lighting... Is that going to be okay long term for the health of my corals?
We used 6500K "Day Light" Iwasaki metal halide lamps at the coral farm I managed at the late 90's with good success. Since some wavelengths (blue. green, red) are all important in promoting coral photosynthesis, it boils down to light intensity. If your PAR levels are less than, say, 500 micromole/m2/sec, you're probably in good shape in *many* cases.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a slight discrepancy in the article you linked regarding rhodopsin.

*Rhodopsin is a photosensitive pigment found in many animals' eyes (including humans) within receptors called cones. Cones and their rhodopsin content enable us to see in very low light conditions. Rhodopsin collects light in wavelengths of about 400nm (violet) to red (at ~600nmn) but most strongly in the blue-green portion of the spectrum (Hunt, 1987).

In animals (as I’m sure in humans) cones allow for color vision, rods mainly allow for black/white/grey vision. It is the rods that allow for better vision in low light conditions and contain rhodopsin. Cones contain photopsin proteins. A cat’s retina contain a higher number of rods compared to humans (6 times more) and that’s why they see better at night but have poorer color vision in the daytime.
Sorry for the off topic
Yes, you are correct rods, not cones. Thanks for the correction! I see you're in Woodstock, not that far away.

Dawgvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are correct rods, not cones. Thanks for the correction! I see you're in Woodstock, not that far away.
Until recently I thought you were still in Hawaii until I saw Dallas Ga under your name. I grew up in Cedartown and, back in the 70’s, my family would drive through Dallas when we would go to ATL.
Hmmm, Hawaii or Dallas Ga. I don’t know, tough choice. ;Joyful

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i run the light on for only 5 hours a day? is that enough to keep the corals happy and thriving!?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until recently I thought you were still in Hawaii until I saw Dallas Ga under your name. I grew up in Cedartown and, back in the 70’s, my family would drive through Dallas when we would go to ATL.
Hmmm, Hawaii or Dallas Ga. I don’t know, tough choice. ;Joyful
Yeah, I hear that a lot. There are a lot of things that attract people to Hawaii. The weather is beautiful almost every day. The ocean is as blue and clear as it can get. But, after living there for 18 years, sunny and 80 every day got to be so boring, and I longed for seasons' changes. The house was on the ocean and I could count Yellow Tangs on the reef in front of the house (if I felt like counting into the thousands.) But salt spray from the waves (sometimes 15-20 footers) takes an incredible toll on a house. And the threat of a major tsunami was always there, every little earthquake (frequent on an island moving northward at the rate of a few inches per year) could cause a small one. And I won't mention the cost of living... In short, Hawaii is a great place to visit but you don't want to live there. I grew up in Cobb County, just to the east of Dallas, so I knew what I was getting into. The house we had built backs up to the Pickett's Mill Battlefield Park, and we love to sit on the back deck and enjoy the beauty of a temperate rainforest. The lab in the day basement is finally large enough to house the tanks and equipment, and I can get some astounding corals I could only dream of while in Kona. All in all, I'll take Dallas GA any day. But if I long for a taste of aloha, Delta is ready when I am, and friends would welcome us back.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i run the light on for only 5 hours a day? is that enough to keep the corals happy and thriving!?
If the light intensity is high enough to saturate photosynthesis (200-300 micromole/m2/sec as a very general rule - there are exceptions!) you *might* get away with it. Do you have a compelling reason for such a short photoperiod? 8-10 hours would be much better!

FOBbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is the current issue I am having.

I'm running a single AI prime HD. I just want to know I'm doing it right.

Tank is 40g Nuvo fusion

I have a ramp up and down of one hour

I run UV at 47%, violet at 80 % and both blues at about 90%. They are all on for 10 hours.

I have white on for 1 hour ramp up and then runs 4hrs at 35%, then 1 hour down.

red and green are at 2% with same schedule as white.

it starts in late afternoon so I can view both the peak lighting, and then watch the blue/violet in the evening. I like the fluorescence look for viewing.

right now I changed it from a lower setting, and have acclimation set to 50% for 3 weeks.

Is this ok?

1616770260121.png

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back