How long do you run your Ozone for if you are using a reactor?

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m currently running mine for 1 hour a day, midnight to 1am. Below you can see my last 3 weeks or so. I am not seeing any increase at all in my ORP. I am using a Poseidon 200. About 2 weeks ago I moved my dial from 1 to 3, still nothing. I am currently using an old Bubble Magnus Curve 5 as a delivery vehicle. I have the cup filled with carbon and have carbon stacked up to catch the output. But after doing some research I really don’t want to put my pups in harms way so I ordered the very recently updated OZ618 with carbon blocks from Geo’s Reef (along with a silent calcium reactor and a kalk mixer, I’ll post on that in a couple days).

I read that some people only use it for 10 minutes a week, I’m at 7 hours a week. There is a real wide spread.

In anticipation of a new rig I just installed (yesterday) a new ORP probe. This has left me scratching my head. I used the PinPoint 400mv solution to simply test my readings. My old ORP from Apex is just that, old. But when I tested the new vs the old in the solution there was only a difference of 10. But when both probes were in the tank the delta was >60, odd.

My water clarity is good, and perhaps the ORP values are useless, but I have ORP rules in my Apex to shut the ozone down if it spikes. I want to run it longer to get my values in the 340-360 range, but also don’t want to do any damage.

If you are using a reactor, how long are you running it and at what value? Also, when you started using a ozone specific reactor, did you scale use way back and ramp it up or just keep your current methodology in play?

TIA

BTW - Kirby wears skinny jeans!

IMG_2236.png IMG_2235.png IMG_2234.png IMG_2233.png

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For the readers - I put a new ORP probe on my system. I’ve left the old one hanging out in the system for now. The old one, when tested against 400 solution was 10% off. I’ve read that the new probe will take a few weeks to come up to speed. I am now seeing it start to come online. I ran my ozone, through my skimmer, for 3 hours yesterday at “2” on the dial and my ORP went up mid day about 45 points, but below 300. I’ve not gotten anywhere near the 400 mark, let alone the redline of 450. I’m going to test the probe this weekend against the 400 solution and see where it is. I think it’s going to be fairly accurate or within reason of the old probe. I was OK being 10% off, but I purchased the apex used, and that was the only probe I had not replaced and could not verify its age or if it had been properly stored the entire time. I’ve order the new ozone reactor from GEO, can’t wait for it to get here.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine 24/7- 365 days a year, full up with no controller or carbon. No problems yet after about 40 years. It was off for about 8 months and I also didn't notice any difference. I run it in a DIY skimmer.

My Ozone generator is only half as powerful as one I used to use many years ago. I just like it for water conditions and I feel the skimmer works better with it but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I run mine 24/7- 365 days a year, full up with no controller or carbon. No problems yet after about 40 years. It was off for about 8 months and I also didn't notice any difference. I run it in a DIY skimmer.

My Ozone generator is only half as powerful as one I used to use many years ago. I just like it for water conditions and I feel the skimmer works better with it but I could be wrong.
No poop, really? What brand of generator are you using and if there is a “dial” what strength are you at and size of tank?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a Weipro 50mg/hr. It's a 125 gallon tank with about 45 fish and I run it full blast with no controller.

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine runs for five minutes, rests for 60 minutes, then runs again. So 12:00pm, 1:05, 2:10, etc.

I have the dial turned up to 5 and I use the avast marine reactor. Avast marine's instructions for a 150 gallon system say to turn it to five and run it 24x7 so I guess it's not to extreme at under 5 minutes an hour.

My reasoning is mostly in the reef tank "voodoo" realm. I read this: https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

It says ozone does a lot of little things. For example...
In any case, raising the ORP may well alter the bioavailability of important metals such as iron. In fact, even without raising ORP, ozone may break down strong metal/organic complexes, increasing the bioavailability of the metal. In either case, ozone may tip the delicate balance of nutrient flow away from microalgae and toward other organisms (macroalgae, bacteria, corals, etc).
I saw that and thought, "Hmm, that's the sort of thing I'd want a little of all day rather than a lot of at only 3am."

So I don't KNOW if I'm really hitting the bullseye on this but it seems to be working well.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the readers - I put a new ORP probe on my system. I’ve left the old one hanging out in the system for now. The old one, when tested against 400 solution was 10% off. I’ve read that the new probe will take a few weeks to come up to speed. I am now seeing it start to come online. I ran my ozone, through my skimmer, for 3 hours yesterday at “2” on the dial and my ORP went up mid day about 45 points, but below 300. I’ve not gotten anywhere near the 400 mark, let alone the redline of 450. I’m going to test the probe this weekend against the 400 solution and see where it is. I think it’s going to be fairly accurate or within reason of the old probe. I was OK being 10% off, but I purchased the apex used, and that was the only probe I had not replaced and could not verify its age or if it had been properly stored the entire time. I’ve order the new ozone reactor from GEO, can’t wait for it to get here.
Mine runs on a 1min on/4min off schedule 24/7 controlled by ORP (limit 400mV).

Nothing special - it's a $60 spa ozone reactor from amazon with no controls, hence the 1/4 cycle.

Feeds into the air intake of a Coral box skimmer after the CO2 media.

Flex714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my poseiden 200 set to 5, curve 5 protein skimmer, Milwaukee controller orp with a reading of 345 safety was set at 400. On a 60 gallon cube turned it on 9pm, woke up in the morning to see how it did 7am and all my fishes were dead corals were closed. The controller hadn't change reading. Now I have the ozone set to 1 and run it on my 150g tank. It took around 2 weeks for the controller to get an accurate reading.

teaktoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used ozone 24/7, but I expect that a lower frequency is adequate for keeping the water from yellowing. :)
This is very curious. Are you finding any qualitative result in the levels of available free water amino acids or other potentially sensitive organic particles used as nutrients for corals and filter feeders? (I defiantly appreciate/ respect your comments across this forum.)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very curious. Are you finding any qualitative result in the levels of available free water amino acids or other potentially sensitive organic particles used as nutrients for corals and filter feeders? (I defiantly appreciate/ respect your comments across this forum.)

Thanks, but I would not have had at the time (and do not have) any way to test for amino acids or any other organic material.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back