How long does it take for clownfish to bond?

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a new clownfish to my established tank. I've had the same clownfish for about 15 months now and really want to find em a mate. So far it's the normal bullying but I'm wondering, when will this end? How long does it take before my clownfish will allow the new one into the anemone?

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say up to 2 months, but usually less than that.

jozekgawlak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on when you introduced the clowns with each other mine paired up after a month. If they don't match then one will end up killing the other..

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a "bonded" pair of black ocellaris and the female for whatever reason decided she hated the male one day and bullied him into constant hiding. He would not even come out to eat because she was ruthless. He finally died and I left her alone for a few months. I then added a smaller black ocellaris and they instantly bonded and are doing great after a few months. Other than a few instances where she has to remind him who is boss, they get along great.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a "bonded" pair of black ocellaris and the female for whatever reason decided she hated the male one day and bullied him into constant hiding. He would not even come out to eat because she was ruthless. He finally died and I left her alone for a few months. I then added a smaller black ocellaris and they instantly bonded and are doing great after a few months. Other than a few instances where she has to remind him who is boss, they get along great.
This is strange from information I have gathered.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
significantly, as in, they may never pair up...

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's not to say they never will, but your chances go down significantly. If they were both one or the other it would be close to 100%, seeing as you have a perc and an occy, that's no longer the case. As far as the female is concerned it may just be another clownfish/damselfish and she may not want anything to do with him.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's not to say they never will, but your chances go down significantly. If they were both one or the other it would be close to 100%, seeing as you have a perc and an occy, that's no longer the case. As far as the female is concerned it may just be another clownfish/damselfish and she may not want anything to do with him.
I see, I'll have to keep an eye on them then, for now they seem ok, just the normal picking

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@wallace Did your clows ever pair up? I have two Picasso clowns but was just curious.
Yea they did pair up for a little while, then I had a massive tank crash due to GHA. Have since rebounded fantastically and managed to pair up two clarkii clownfish to go with my haddoni.

15525257310885145059014057116755.jpg

JWalk3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have any other potential jumpers take your lid off and your wrasse will take care of itself lol

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bonded pair of breeding oscilaris for 18 months. The female was much older (8 years)and the male was 2 when the female died. The male was left alone only for one week. I bought a tank bred smaller (likely still sexually neutral) osc a week later. I acclimated him for an hour then let him go. He immediately went to my lonesome male and he did the quiver thing for a few minutes then stopped and allowed the new one to rub onto the large anemone almost immediately. They started sleeping in the same host from night 1. The smaller (new) one started defending the territory within a few hours, chasing away any fish that dares enter the no go zone. They also feed in turns, as one defends then they swap. I was amazed at how quickly they took to each other. It looks like the original male is becoming female and is cleaning the rock where his original mate always layed, plus playing the dominance game that the deceased female played way back when. It's intriguing to watch.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back