How long does it take for H2O2 to break down in a tank?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently dealing with some dinos. I am using a UV filter and adding h2o2 twice a day at 1.5 ml/10 gal along with some bacteria. I want to keep the UV off and not add bacteria when the h2o2 is working/reacting. I know there are variables at play, but about how long should I plan for it take to break down?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious as to how someone is measuring such breakdown. agreed above on the orp readings that's the key down/up paradoxical timing/4 hrs avg.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we've had countless people re input lysmata shrimp after 4 hours and they die at a rate of about 90% when peroxide is added with them in tow. to me this also really helps back up timing guesses.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to keep the UV running the whole time the h2o2 is in there, but I imagine that would cause a large increase in the rate of breakdown.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tbd I do not know, agreed neat to find out. not sure how we can measure it without orp maybe chemists have a neat trick

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to keep the UV running the whole time the h2o2 is in there, but I imagine that would cause a large increase in the rate of breakdown.
I've been dosing H2O2 and keeping the UV going 24/7. Though, I replaced the UV bulb last night and the dinos were 99% gone today.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a while ago I had hydroids in my FW tank and was looking for simple ways to get rid of them when I came across this guy using h2o2 in his shrimp tanks. I watched the video a few times and and took notes, then did a treatment in my tank and it went well. He gives a really specifically measured dose, and I can’t recall if he says the exact amount of time it takes to break down, but he does list a timeframe for keeping pumps off. I followed that and had no adverse reactions in the DT or the back chambers with livestock or nitrifying bacteria.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a while ago I had hydroids in my FW tank and was looking for simple ways to get rid of them when I came across this guy using h2o2 in his shrimp tanks. I watched the video a few times and and took notes, then did a treatment in my tank and it went well. He gives a really specifically measured dose, and I can’t recall if he says the exact amount of time it takes to break down, but he does list a timeframe for keeping pumps off. I followed that and had no adverse reactions in the DT or the back chambers with livestock or nitrifying bacteria.

Thanks for the link!

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about this because of chaeto. Been thinking about dosing it for a tank but it has a macro algae reactor that can be kept off during dosing so as not to kill the chaeto.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't dose peroxide into a display. even though its safe/we know safe doses/it doesn't get rid of your targets effectively and would likely kill nontarget macros.

post a pic of the tank in challenge, let's see what's prompting the request to dose peroxide/there's better ways to fix the tank

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back