How long does it take (roughly) for zoas to bounce back?

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried fragging some zoas over the weekend. It was my first time ever doing this and I was preparing them so I could move to onto a rock in our new tank. I took a razorblade and scraped them off their existing plug then glued them to small chunks of one I cut up. I noticed a few of them spewed out some brown fluid as I was cutting and I'm worried I might have nicked one or two. Out of the two plugs i started with I have roughly 10 now. 2-3 have polyps that are opening and the rest are still closed. I'd like to give them at least a week before I consider the worst but any help would be awesome.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have much to add as far as when they will come back, but when you say fluid came out of a zoanthid, just wanted to make sure you are aware of the risks of palytoxin to your health

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By "over the weekend" do you mean two or three days ago? Give them a week and they should all open. Make sure you glued them right side up, scraped cleanly, there is no algae on them (film algae can be hard to spot, look closely) and the water is clean. An iodine dip may encourage them if all this other stuff doesn't seem to apply to you. The brown fluid is probably very very high in paly toxin but it's been long enough that if any effects were to occur then it would've happened by now. I hope they open for you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Generally depends on lighting and water quality

OP
OP
Sharkattackmack

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have much to add as far as when they will come back, but when you say fluid came out of a zoanthid, just wanted to make sure you are aware of the risks of palytoxin to your health
Yes i am aware. I make sure the dog stays in her bed and i wash my hands as soon as im done. I actually cut the zoas off the plug underwater to not risk any squirting of fluids.

OP
OP
Sharkattackmack

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By "over the weekend" do you mean two or three days ago? Give them a week and they should all open. Make sure you glued them right side up, scraped cleanly, there is no algae on them (film algae can be hard to spot, look closely) and the water is clean. An iodine dip may encourage them if all this other stuff doesn't seem to apply to you. The brown fluid is probably very very high in paly toxin but it's been long enough that if any effects were to occur then it would've happened by now. I hope they open for
i guess it has only been a day -_- the last two days have been long ones at work and seemed to drag on and on. When i return to the house on friday night ill have to take a double check for any algae or extra glue on them. I am very careful when i have my hands in the tank. The first day i glued a bunch of the frags into the tank i started to heat up and feel flush. Wasnt sure if one of the coral "stung" me or it was all in my head but ever since that day i dont take any chances. thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back