How long does it take?

Reefkeeper14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently ive been breeding. My clownfish since they started laying eggs and ive been wondering how lon does it take for a company like ora to get clowms from looking regular to looking like platinums. Does it take multiple generations or do they just get lucky and get two really screwed up clownfish in different batches of eggs and then pair those two together and then a percentage of those pairs bbabies are platinums?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like this topic.

WestOhooligan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it helps, but from their page, they said years:

The Platinum Percula is a magnificent white variation of the Percula Clownfish. ORA developed the Platinum Percula through years of selectively breeding our famous Picasso Clownfish. These striking fish do not exhibit any of the original striping characteristic of the species, they are typically continuously white from head to tail. As Platinums mature, they will develop beautiful black fins that really stand out against the white body and orange face.

oceancube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
basically they bred 2 picassos and thus created a platnium, genes work in mysterious ways . you can have 2 grade b or c picassos and get a platnium as long as both parents have the picasso gene...crazy things going on!!

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no geneticist but from what I have learned its all about selective breeding. If you have a fish with a trait that that you want to develop you first find another fish with similar traits or a fish that will compliment the trait you are trying to reproduce. You then select the offspring that show the trait and breed them with another fish that shows the same trait to make that gene stronger. If there is no other fish that has that trait you back breed the offspring to the parent which will strengthen the trait but may weaken the offspring due to inbreeding if done too much. Basically you just go back and forth introducing new genes as you go and bring out the trait. It takes years and multiple generations to develop a fish like that. Again I'm no geneticist so I may be butchering that explanation a bit. My guess is that the picasso gene (grade a, b, c, platinum, its all the same gene it just comes out stronger in some fish than others) is a recessive gene and if you get two regular clowns with the gene you will end up with some picasso offspring, just like when breeding cat or dogs.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back