How long does Live Rock live outside of water?

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be downsizing my 50 cube to a 33g AIO soon. The new tank arrives in 1-2 months due to backlog, but that gives me a month.
I have aiptasia in the current tank, so starting with fresh dry rock so no risk of transferring any.

if I let the dry rock cycle in a tub for the next 1-2 months feeding it every week with some food, then it goes out of the tub for a few hours to aquascape, will all the bacteria die, or is this still worth it?

Thoughts?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be fine. Remember, we used to get live rock shipped to us from Fiji with nothing more than wet newspaper wrapped around it.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, so not a waste of time then!

Will throw a shrimp into the tub and let it decompose to get that bacteria going.

Hoping I can get the tank ready for SPS at month 4. Dry rock has ALWAYS been the hardest at getting a tank ready, so any time I can get a head start is a benefit.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just think that in the wild, reefs get exposed all the times and for long extended periods when the tide is low. You'll be fine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back