How long does manufacturer silicone last

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone speak to leaving a tank in the garage outside for a while? Is the silicone generally okay as long as it's not exposed to the sun or other elements, or does cooler temperatures play a big factor?

I have a new tank sitting in the crate in the garage for the last year and probably for another 1 year. I'm in Canada so it gets cool in the winter but stays above freezing in the garage. As I mentioned, it's new in the crate and protected but I do wonder if the temperatures have any effect.

Fingers crossed over here!

i would definitely fill it with water and pressure test it outside before taking the chance.

MastaMind82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Razorp That is a great looking cabinet/tank. Glad everything is coming back together for you. I like that you mentioned Servpro, I have worked with them in the past and I'll have to admit they are a pretty knowledgeable company in my experience.

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Razorp That is a great looking cabinet/tank. Glad everything is coming back together for you. I like that you mentioned Servpro, I have worked with them in the past and I'll have to admit they are a pretty knowledgeable company in my experience.

ServePro did a bang up job, they were at the house within an hour and a half. They had 7 industrial fans and 2 industrial de humidifiers running for 10 days. Pulled baseboards and carpet and monitored moisture in the walls for 2 weeks or so. My house sounded like a tornado, but they did get it dried out! When all was said and done it was around $3,000 dollars for everything they did.

Luckily the company that built the tank covered every single penny without me even asking. They did however say they think the damage was due to moving the tank to and from the cabinet shop. They requested to build the new one on site and install themselves, which i of course let them do.

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 29g standard has been up 8 years. 6 fresh and now 2 saltwater. Plan on just replacing the tank next year. Only 29$ from the dollar per gallon sale. Just for peace of mind. Some of the seams look suspicious

OP
OP
B

Boxfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask do beveled edges of some high end tanks have better properties or are they more a pretty feature?

OP
OP
B

Boxfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what brand tanks would u classify as high quality construction?

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same ship! Lol here's mine.
received_2426401627470219.jpeg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's say you have an aquarium brand like oceanic aquarium that has been wet for 8 years how much longer is a good assumption for remainder of life span. What clues should I look for in black silicone? Looking at used tanks. Thanks
I have an Oceanic Bow 90gal and it has been wet for 15+ years with only minor cuts in the edges of the silicone due to cleaning. I know how your feeling but you really don't have to worry at the eight year mark unless it got beaten up a lot. Oceanic tanks are built to last, I don't know how much more time I have got but I hope its at least another 5+ years because at that point I plan on going bigger for my retirement tank.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the wife gave me the tank as a Christmas gift (its honestly a dream tank to me), so she was just as sick as i was. Took 4 hours to get it broken down and moved. This of course happened in the middle of the night and i found it at 5:30am (tank and stand probably weigh 900 pounds without all the wet sand and it was on carpet). Then servpro was in and out of the house for 3 weeks cleaning and repairing the damage to the rooms affected. Took a total of 3 months for a new tank to be built AND the custom wood cabinet stand to be rebuilt. My poor african cichlids did survive in a 30 gallon plastic tote for the duration (only lost 1).

The truly unbelievable part is that my wife bought me my first salt water tank for fathers day AND it was in the middle of this nightmare. I think she just felt bad because i didn't have my big beautiful tank to look at when i got home from a hard day of work. Plus she is an amazing wife, so there is that as well lol.

The picture attached is before the nightmare. Tank is back up and running, currently still waiting for the drawers, and cabinet doors to be delivered and re installed. The décor has changed a bit, as i have added more holey rock that i gathered at our deer lease in south Texas. Eventually the fake décor will all be replaced with more holey rock, but the fish are all still small and the décor was a birthday gift so i hate to not use it at all. ( we all like natural tanks)

IMG_0946.jpg
Awesome tank and a wonderful father's day gift.mostly congrats on a wonderful wife

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7x2x2 oceanic running today. I had two... one had 1992 and one had 1989 stickers on them. Still going. I have no idea which one I am running and which one I gave away for a sump.

...feel like I need to knock on something wood.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back