How long does unopened dry salt mix last?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is having a big sale on Instant Ocean salt this weekend... $29 for a 200G box. That the lowest price I’ve seen for IO in quite a while and I’m debating picking up like 4 or 8 boxes, but that would probably be about a 1-2 year supply for me. I feel like as long as it stays dry the salt should last pretty much forever, but is there anything I'm missing or any reason (other than lack of space to store it) that I shouldn’t buy so much salt at once?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is having a big sale on Instant Ocean salt this weekend... $29 for a 200G box. That the lowest price I’ve seen for IO in quite a while and I’m debating picking up like 4 or 8 boxes, but that would probably be about a 1-2 year supply for me. I feel like as long as it stays dry the salt should last pretty much forever, but is there anything I'm missing or any reason (other than lack of space to store it) that I shouldn’t buy so much salt at once?
I’d just store it in airtight containers because moisture leaches into mine and it dries in a block. Also I’m pretty sure the salt bags have tiny holes in them.

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that it will absorb moisture. I've read they changed the plastic they used for the bags and the last few I've gotten have hardened. I buy the boxes now and dump them into 5 gallon buckets.

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does moisture ‘spoil’ salt

Yes and no but mostly yes. You want to avoid the salt becoming hard and clumping. For starters it makes it very difficult to measure out. Even worse when it starts to clump together the parameters can be out of wack. Finally if it gets really hard it won't mix clear, probably due to precipitate. Someone else will probably give you a better explanation. For 1-2 years I wouldn't worry too much. A lot of people buy that much salt at a time. The last time I bought 5 or 6 boxes of IO I think one bag was hard and it was still usable.

It also has been mentioned that the bags inside the boxes have changed. For me I wouldn't worry too much but if you are concerned and buy a lot open up the boxes and check the bags right away. It's already been suggested putting them in a sealed 5g bucket. Or if the bags are in good shape you can just put them either back in the box or on a shelf ect.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy salt once a year when it's on sale. $29 bucks a box, I would buy a few for sure. As long as they aren't hard, it will last forever.

Just open the boxes and check the bags. Since they changed the bags I've been finding quite a bit of clumping. I dump the bags into old IO buckets for this reason now.

Hey @InstantOcean(not a real name here).... Change the bags back, they suck now!

OP
OP
B

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, hypothetically, if you had 6 boxes of salt in the back of your car... where would you store them? Asking for a friend;)

CFBBEF09-2164-4539-A6C1-3F0CCB93C198.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would open every box, dump them into buckets(yes I have enough. lol ), and store them in my garage.

The "new" bags really do suck!

Haha, yeah, I’ve managed to pick up quite a few buckets over the years as well. But I’m a little hesitant to do that because I’ve managed to configure my AWC so that I use exactly one bag of salt each time I refill my NSW reservoir. It mixes up to a little over 35ppt, but when the AWC runs it takes out a little more water than it puts in, so the ATO makes up the extra with fresh water and the tank salinity stays at 35ppt. And I don’t have to worry about measuring salt or having inconsistent parameters if the salt isn’t thoroughly mixed. I just cut open a bag and dump the whole thing it in. I suppose I could try to store the bags in sealed buckets, but then I’d need to find a place to store all those buckets:/

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a bag not long enough. Just go to a pet store that can't move salt and take note of the bags of salt brick from presumably moisture exposure. In a sealed bucket forever unless you do something to change that (get moisture in the bucket).

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back