How long for CO2 scrubber to start making a difference

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put my scrubber online on the 4th of January about 1/2 way through my light cycle. By the end of the day I had already made progress. This has been my result. If the media lasts long enough, I will be running this full time.

Those 8.1's required an open window in the winter :/. That 8.36 was with a closed window.

1704660352038.png

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a CO2 scrubber for the holidays and just hooked it up this morning. My pH sits between 7.8-almost 8 depending on time of day.

From your experience, how long before you start to see a difference?
Immediately for me. I use a valve that controls the air input source to my skimmer. When the pH goes below 8.29, the valve opens and air source come through the scrubber. When the pH goes above 8.31, the valve closes and ambient room air is used. My pH is dialed in right around 8.3. I have a 1 gallon waste reservoir for my skimmer. When it gets full, the skimmer turns off and I see a drop in pH. This happened last night. As you see from the graph below, as soon as I got the skimmer going, my pH immediately rose. Took about 30 minutes to go from 8.22 to 8.3. And my tank lights have yet to come on.

pH.JPG

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Immediately for me. I use a valve that controls the air input source to my skimmer. When the pH goes below 8.29, the valve opens and air source come through the scrubber. When the pH goes above 8.31, the valve closes and ambient room air is used. My pH is dialed in right around 8.3. I have a 1 gallon waste reservoir for my skimmer. When it gets full, the skimmer turns off and I see a drop in pH. This happened last night. As you see from the graph below, as soon as I got the skimmer going, my pH immediately rose. Took about 30 minutes to go from 8.22 to 8.3. And my tank lights have yet to come on.

pH.JPG
What valves are you using? I started to design something similar, but I got stuck on what type of valve to use. Most solenoid valves for air either need pressure to operate or are not rated for continuous duty - meaning if the actuator is given power to open or close (depending if it's normally open or closed) they are only rated for a short time of being powered.

This led me down the path of a diverter instead which I haven't been able to find. I actually started to design one in Fusion 360 - but haven't had the time necessary to fully design and model one... yet.

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What valves are you using? I started to design something similar, but I got stuck on what type of valve to use. Most solenoid valves for air either need pressure to operate or are not rated for continuous duty - meaning if the actuator is given power to open or close (depending if it's normally open or closed) they are only rated for a short time of being powered.

This led me down the path of a diverter instead which I haven't been able to find. I actually started to design one in Fusion 360 - but haven't had the time necessary to fully design and model one... yet.
Check out McMaster-Carr. They should have something on their website

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out McMaster-Carr. They should have something on their website
Thanks, yeah - I was there looking around. Continuous duty rated are like $300 each.. I love McMaster-Carr because I can import a good majority of their items into fusion when I'm designing something.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pH.JPG
This is #goals for me. That would be amazing. What is your system volume if you don’t mind me asking and what size CO2 scrubber do you use?

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use 1 motorized ball valve. The valve only uses measurable power when changing states and then milliamps to stay open/closed. No heat generated. No back pressure needed to operate.

I use a 12vdc power supply to power the solenoid.

Here is a diagram of my setup. You can see that the airline from the scrubber to the skimmer is always available but its a much longer run to the skimmer than the unscrubbed air. So when the valve is open, the skimmer draws ALMOST all unscrubbed air. But when closed, draws only scrubbed air. This way, I only needed one valve and simplified the setup.

CO2-SCRUBBER.JPG

Last edited:

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is #goals for me. That would be amazing. What is your system volume if you don’t mind me asking and what size CO2 scrubber do you use?
I have approx. 100 gallon system. My skimmer is an old Euro Reef 8-2. Probably oversized for my system. I've tried some of the newer skimmers supposedly "right-sized" for my system but they were like toys compared to the Euro Reef. This thing draws a BUNCH of air and a ton of skimmate. And its built like a tank. They don't make them like this any more. Old school rocks!!! :D

I use a standard 10 inch clear cannister filter with refillable cartridge. Its nice to see the media turning purple.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have approx. 100 gallon system. My skimmer is an old Euro Reef 8-2. Probably oversized for my system. I've tried some of the newer skimmers supposedly "right-sized" for my system but they were like toys compared to the Euro Reef. This thing draws a BUNCH of air and a ton of skimmate. And its built like a tank. They don't make them like this any more. Old school rocks!!! :D

I use a standard 10 inch clear cannister filter with refillable cartridge. Its nice to see the media turning purple.

Thanks for sharing!

I think I’m finally starting to see a difference; my cartridge and container look a ton like yours. I’ve been wondering whether my skimmer is just not pulling as much air as it should. I might connect it directly to my Venturi if I don’t see a shift in the next few days. Moving slowly so I don’t stress out my system.

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing!

I think I’m finally starting to see a difference; my cartridge and container look a ton like yours. I’ve been wondering whether my skimmer is just not pulling as much air as it should. I might connect it directly to my Venturi if I don’t see a shift in the next few days. Moving slowly so I don’t stress out my system.
I'm sure you have it installed correctly but make sure the cartidge is not installed upside down. The gasket goes on top. I initially installed the cartridge gasket down for a few months. :rolleyes: Couldn't figure out why it took so long for the pH to react. And my DI resin for the most part didn't turn purple. Once I realized my mistake, pH increased to 8.3 within an hour.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 1 motorized ball valve. The valve only uses measurable power when changing states and then milliamps to stay open/closed. No heat generated. No back pressure needed to operate.

I use a 12vdc power supply to power the solenoid.

Here is a diagram of my setup. You can see that the airline from the scrubber to the skimmer is always available but its a much longer run to the skimmer than the unscrubbed air. So when the valve is open, the skimmer draws ALMOST all unscrubbed air. But when closed, draws only scrubbed air. This way, I only needed one valve and simplified the setup.

CO2-SCRUBBER.JPG
This is great, thanks. Though it's looking like my media lasted a week.... cost to value might not quite be there to bother trying this.

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great, thanks. Though it's looking like my media lasted a week.... cost to value might not quite be there to bother trying this.
I buy the 3 liter bucket of Two Little Fishes CDX resin on Amazon ($57 and free shipping). I haven't changed it in about month. And the cannister is only 1/2 full.

Last edited:

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed mine on January 6th. The improvement was immediate. Hopefully, it will last long enough to be cost-effective. The jury is still out.

ph_Jan10_2024.png

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you have it installed correctly but make sure the cartidge is not installed upside down. The gasket goes on top. I initially installed the cartridge gasket down for a few months. :rolleyes: Couldn't figure out why it took so long for the pH to react. And my DI resin for the most part didn't turn purple. Once I realized my mistake, pH increased to 8.3 within an hour.
Interesting…. Not sure whether I did or not so I will check. Thank you!

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy the 3 liter bucket of Two Little Fishes CDX resin on Amazon ($57 and free shipping). I haven't changed it in about month. And the cannister is only 1/2 full.
Look for Jorvit soda lime on amazon or ebay. the sell 16 kilo canisters. cheapest by far

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use these plugged direct into my EB8. I have 2 tee’d so during the day I pull fresh air and during lights off I pull through the scrubber. I use the jumbo dual BRS scrubber and a canister lasts me a month in a non-recirculating setup so not too bad.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back