How long for CO2 scrubber to start making a difference

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a CO2 scrubber for the holidays and just hooked it up this morning. My pH sits between 7.8-almost 8 depending on time of day.

From your experience, how long before you start to see a difference?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what it looks like right now for me… need to find other solutions I guess!
I’d give it a day or two though. It will probably keep the night time ph a little higher.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Unless your house is very well ventilated it should make a difference. Even in the winter when my household CO2 stays around 400 I still see it has an effect. pH will hit 8.44 then . Summer it tops at 8.3 on a good day.
Live in Florida.

Check your hook ups and occasionally blow though the tubing to make sure there are not obstructions. How big of a system you running?

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your house is very well ventilated it should make a difference. Even in the winter when my household CO2 stays around 400 I still see it has an effect. pH will hit 8.44 then . Summer it tops at 8.3 on a good day.
Live in Florida.

Check your hook ups and occasionally blow though the tubing to make sure there are not obstructions. How big of a system you running?
210 gallon tank with 60 gallon breeder for a sump. I think I’m at ~200 gallons of actual water. I’m in MA so opening windows is not an option this time of year. I’ve never tried to dial in pH and I’m not seeing huge swings but it would be nice to get it a little higher consistently.

It’s been hooked up for a few hours and I don’t see any difference at all yet. I may also not have a big enough scrubber to deal with this water volume so that’s the other possibility. I’ll give it a few days before trying to mess with anything else.

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
210 gallon tank with 60 gallon breeder for a sump. I think I’m at ~200 gallons of actual water. I’m in MA so opening windows is not an option this time of year. I’ve never tried to dial in pH and I’m not seeing huge swings but it would be nice to get it a little higher consistently.

It’s been hooked up for a few hours and I don’t see any difference at all yet. I may also not have a big enough scrubber to deal with this water volume so that’s the other possibility. I’ll give it a few days before trying to mess with anything else.
I've got one hooked up to my skimmer and to be honest the .1 or .2 difference it makes I don't feel is worth the price and hassle of CO2 resin. So its really just a fancy muffler at this point

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one hooked up to my skimmer and to be honest the .1 or .2 difference it makes I don't feel is worth the price and hassle of CO2 resin. So its really just a fancy muffler at this point
LOL I’m starting to think maybe trying to raise my pH is a futile endeavor unless I want to also increase alkalinity which I really really don’t. For now I’m just waiting and watching. I’ve been meaning to set up a refugium or hook but an algae scrubber but my nutrients are on the lower side so I worry I’ll tank them if I do that. Maybe would be good to wait till I have a higher bio load or my Coral start to consume more calcium/alkalinity before messing with anything else. Problem is: I’m a tinkerer

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
made a big difference for me starting on day 1. I was 7.8 - 8 without it. Now I’ll get near 8.4 during peak hours and lows at night around 8.15.

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I’m starting to think maybe trying to raise my pH is a futile endeavor unless I want to also increase alkalinity which I really really don’t. For now I’m just waiting and watching. I’ve been meaning to set up a refugium or hook but an algae scrubber but my nutrients are on the lower side so I worry I’ll tank them if I do that. Maybe would be good to wait till I have a higher bio load or my Coral start to consume more calcium/alkalinity before messing with anything else. Problem is: I’m a tinkerer
7.8-8 is honestly not bad. Don't get too hung up on chasing numbers. Your measurement equipment alone could have a +/-.2 reading anyways

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy it in bulk from e bay or amazon. $130 lasted me 20 months changing every 2 weeks or so.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have an outside air line go to the CO scrubber then to the skimmer.

Some people suggest using a recirculating line from the skimmer to the CO scrubber then back to the skimmer. Never tried that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back