How long for vermetid snails to starve?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you jnow
Had an ATS light fall into my sump, puff of smoke, twitching fish, and a pop of the breaker. Killed every single one of them!

Didn't seem to harm anything else in my tank except those darn vermetids.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling this issue for almost a year. I took out my entire rock structure and replaced it with new rock as mine was so bad there was no way to fix the issue. I still have them, but the issue is no where near as bad, and one of the reasons is the bumble bee snails I got. If you can, add some of those to the tank as the bumble bee snails ate them. Then you can break off the stems for whatever you can get your hands on, or glue them shut if you prefer. I am at a point that my only hope to rid them at 100% is to just start a completely new system.

That's what I'm afraid of. They're in my invert/coral qt.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they are really that huge of a PITA, they just need a bit of consistent work. I had so so so many in the home system, got a bunch of tools and went after them consistently for a while. Now they are easy - when I see one I have so many options to take them out. The laser seems promising but not at all fast. Needle nose pliers are my go to for getting in close to corals, but still crushing the part of the shell where the snail actually lives.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they are really that huge of a PITA, they just need a bit of consistent work. I had so so so many in the home system, got a bunch of tools and went after them consistently for a while. Now they are easy - when I see one I have so many options to take them out. The laser seems promising but not at all fast. Needle nose pliers are my go to for getting in close to corals, but still crushing the part of the shell where the snail actually lives.

i think I'll try the needle nose players

On another note, I know it's a long shot but will a coral dip kill them?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope on the dip. This is one of those 'do the work' things. :D

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A longspine urchin will take care of them on your rockwork but not on your frag plugs or tight up against a coral.

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hit or miss, but I have heard that some six-lined wrasses like them. I had an emerald crab that I 'trained' to eat them. I would use the needle nose pliers method and he would come rushing over when he saw them. Then I saw him cracking open a smaller one and he was a great one to have in the tank for a while.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hit or miss, but I have heard that some six-lined wrasses like them. I had an emerald crab that I 'trained' to eat them. I would use the needle nose pliers method and he would come rushing over when he saw them. Then I saw him cracking open a smaller one and he was a great one to have in the tank for a while.

interesting. More research will be needed. Thank you

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 165 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back