How long have you had your anthias

• Total voters

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive never had much success with anthias my last tank i had one for 2 months then it died i believe its because it wouldn't really eat all that much it was a square anthia the tank before that i two square anthias one carpet surfed and the other just died unexpectedly within 2 months

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunburst and blotched anthias, both 3 years.
Just with normal 2 feedings a day, very healthy fishes.

IMG_0476.JPG _20190713_134619.JPG

Any issues with your Sunburst and stress during QT? I'm considering getting one, but am concerned about the viability of the species in home tanks.

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues, this species is quite smart.
My quarantine procedure is no medication observation first.
Make sure the fish is eating well and fattening up a bit.
Then I do tank transfer method before introducing to the display tank.
This fish is doing well from day one, able to get the food and avoid other bigger fishes in the display tank, smart fish.

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @truetricia another really pretty Anthias you should consider is the sunset anthia. My sunburst and sunset get along pretty well

image.jpg

That is a GORGEOUS fish! Male, I'm assuming? Do you just have the two? Eating well? I was looking at Randall's as well, but maybe a couple of Sunsets instead! That is beautiful. Any tips for both the sunset or sunburst? QT, feeding, etc?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my most succesful:
-10 lyretails, 2-3+ years until i got really lazy and I think high NO3 did them in, even in high NO3 I had 4 linger but then died.
-I had a shoal of 10 bimacs (along with the 10 lyretails) that dwindled down to two (probably my fault again), but the two I have left are super healthy still. So those are about 2-3+ years
-currently with the 2 bimacs are 20 mostly male Bartletts. Same 20 I've had since Feb. Haven't killed each other off and I don't suspect they will. I have a few females in there, but I prefer the "super" male colors as they're so vibrant.

least successful:
-4 red saddled, never ate.
-5 ventralis; just didn't do well and last long (for me).

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please see my previous post. If I ever keep a group of anthias again, it won't be Bartlett's. They're just nasty.
I don't see the behaviors that most people experience with my 20 Bartletts. I think they're one of the best looking anthias once they're males.

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are shy. I would make sure they were eating well before placing them with other Anthias And or competitive fish

I've got two clowns in the tank at the moment, but otherwise, my anthias are going to be the first fish in there to minimize any issues with competing fish. I want to maximize their ability to acclimate in my tank. So I'll do a mix of Sunburst, Sunset, and Randalls... I want 5 or six total.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 4 bartletts in my red sea 750, 2 have turned male , some chasing happens for sure but they all kinda stay together . It's been almost a year

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have mine well over a year and cant believe how large they've grown

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Lyretail Anthias. One I've had for 7 years, the other 6 years. Very hardy and personable fish.

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my most succesful:
-10 lyretails, 2-3+ years until i got really lazy and I think high NO3 did them in, even in high NO3 I had 4 linger but then died.
-I had a shoal of 10 bimacs (along with the 10 lyretails) that dwindled down to two (probably my fault again), but the two I have left are super healthy still. So those are about 2-3+ years
-currently with the 2 bimacs are 20 mostly male Bartletts. Same 20 I've had since Feb. Haven't killed each other off and I don't suspect they will. I have a few females in there, but I prefer the "super" male colors as they're so vibrant.

least successful:
-4 red saddled, never ate.
-5 ventralis; just didn't do well and last long (for me).

How high is your high NO3?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back