How long in social acclimation?

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew going in that there likely will be some squabble with an established Coral Beauty and a new Flame Angel. Sure enough the CB bullied the FA relentlessly even to the point of hunting it down in the rocks. I got the FA out into the QT until the acclimation box came in.

It's been 4 full days now that it's been in there. It took about a day before the CB was comfortable approaching the box but only showed a bit of interest in the FA inside so far. It looks like it's given up but I don't know if it's just a ploy and will go right back to hunting the FA once I release it. The tank boss, the largest YT, didn't even look twice at the FA.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say. I've had fish ignored in the box only to get the stuffing beaten out of them upon release. I generally go 4 days max.

OP
OP
A

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I was afraid of that. Today will be 5th day so I'll try releasing it tonight. Early enough so that if it's the same thing I'll have time to remove it and decide which one goes.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option would be to switch out the CB for the FA in the acclimation box. Let the FA get used to the tank, find hiding spots and what not and then reintroduce the CB after a few days. Also helps if you could move a rock or 2 if thats an option.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say. I've had fish ignored in the box only to get the stuffing beaten out of them upon release. I generally go 4 days max.

Yeah, although it would be nice to go longer, you just can't expect a fish to do much longer than 4 days in a tiny box, even if it does have good flow.

OP
OP
A

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houston....we have success. There was about 30 sec of sizing each other up and that was it. No butting or nipping. There's still a bit of tension when they cross path but they quickly continue on their own way.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three things can happen:

1. If obvious aggression from residents does not abate in 4 days, it probably isn't going to - don't add the new fish
2. If obvious aggression does abate in 4 days - add fish
3. There is no obvious aggression - add fish

The last one is tricky because sometimes resident fish will ignore the box but then beat the newcomer senseless once released. This requires careful observation.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the cb goes for the fa again use the mirror trick that should keep the cb busy for a day or two. For those who don't know the mirror trick is putting a mirror tight against the tank so the bully sees themselves and bullies themselves and in the meantime realises the newcomer isn't a threat to it. After 3-4 days the mirror can be removed and hopefully all is good.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I've added a fish to my tank that has the same species I turn off the lights & cover the frt & sides with a sofa Blanket (tank is completely dark) until the next morning. I have 3 dwarf angels & 3 tangs & have never had any problems.

Lemonpeel angel
Corral Beauty
Flame angel

Mimic Lemonpeel Tang
Chevron Tang
Blue surgeon/Hippo tang

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 93 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 99 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 20 9.4%
Back