How long is a cycle good for?

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've completed my cycle (fishless with Dr. Tim's bacteria and ammonium chloride), but it will be a week or two before I am able to add my fish (currently in QT). I imagine the nitrifying bacteria will still need a source of ammonia during that time, which means I'll need to dose it manually. Right? How often and how much? I'm curious how long the bacteria can go without a food source.

Thanks!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've completed my cycle (fishless with Dr. Tim's bacteria and ammonium chloride), but it will be a week or two before I am able to add my fish (currently in QT). I imagine the nitrifying bacteria will still need a source of ammonia during that time, which means I'll need to dose it manually. Right? How often and how much? I'm curious how long the bacteria can go without a food source.

Thanks!
Just a pinch of food every two days will keep populations in order IMM.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
They don't die, they simply adjust to food source.

I've left QT tanks with no fish for months and the tank never shows any ammonia when dropping new fish in there.
Not something to worry about - the bac will find a food source just from stuff floating around the room.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
+1 to ghost feeding. Small amounts. Small small small. A few snails or a crab will work too and get that CUC going.

An ammonia-nitrate cycle is just the beginning. A new tank will go through many phases and cycles its first year. Not really your pertaining to your question, but be careful with that bio load.

This tank took about a year to come around. It is my rock Anemone tank my wife commandeered for her CSB. At one point there was so much green sludge on the glass and no end in sight I gave up for like a month and didn’t bother cleaning the glass.

Now…I might have done a water change a few months ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 33

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back