How long should an eheim jager heater last?

  • Thread starter Thread starter glb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2013
Messages
8,185
Reaction score
3,302
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50w for my 12g nano. I've had it a few years and I'm not sure it's reliable anymore. Plus the recalibration instructions might as well have been written by aliens. Should I replace heaters after a while? If so, I'm leaning towards a Finnex titanium. Any advice would be appreciated!
 
I replace elements once every 2 years using the true temp controller
 
My first eheim jager I ran for 5 years. Never once had a problem. I replaced it this month proactively because I didn't want to give it a chance to fail. Nothing was wrong with it though
 
The problem with heaters is that you never know when they are going to crap out......and they will crap out. I'm a firm believer in Eheim Jagers....I believe the best...the thickest glass of any glass heater. My second choice is Sera.

The other thing I'd recommend is running two "undersized" heaters instead of one normal sized heater. This way, when one craps out, the other will at least try to maintain temperature, and the slight drop in temp will let you know a heater is not functioning.

Now the most important thing, regardless of the brand of heater(s) is to run them through a controller. If you have a fancy-pants aquarium controller, great. If not, consider a stand alone temperature controller like Ranco....and if you're DIY savvy, they are relatively easy to build.
 
Last edited:
The weakest like in most of these heaters is their internal thermostats, so a decent controller is a great idea. Also, as Paul mentioned, some redundancy by using two heaters is also a good idea. I used an old Pinpoint dual temperature controller I had left over from the chiller days, but would still replace the heaters every couple years, as a precaution.
 
I am on 3.5 years on a Sera and i haven't had an issue. I was curious too on the lifespan. Looks like a temp controller is the way to go.
 
@twilliard will do get the replacement temp prob for JBJ unit form. I have the same one but when ever i plug it in it just says error
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new