How long should an eheim jager heater last?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50w for my 12g nano. I've had it a few years and I'm not sure it's reliable anymore. Plus the recalibration instructions might as well have been written by aliens. Should I replace heaters after a while? If so, I'm leaning towards a Finnex titanium. Any advice would be appreciated!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first eheim jager I ran for 5 years. Never once had a problem. I replaced it this month proactively because I didn't want to give it a chance to fail. Nothing was wrong with it though

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first eheim jager I ran for 5 years. Never once had a problem. I replaced it this month proactively because I didn't want to give it a chance to fail. Nothing was wrong with it though

Same

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with heaters is that you never know when they are going to crap out......and they will crap out. I'm a firm believer in Eheim Jagers....I believe the best...the thickest glass of any glass heater. My second choice is Sera.

The other thing I'd recommend is running two "undersized" heaters instead of one normal sized heater. This way, when one craps out, the other will at least try to maintain temperature, and the slight drop in temp will let you know a heater is not functioning.

Now the most important thing, regardless of the brand of heater(s) is to run them through a controller. If you have a fancy-pants aquarium controller, great. If not, consider a stand alone temperature controller like Ranco....and if you're DIY savvy, they are relatively easy to build.

Last edited:

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weakest like in most of these heaters is their internal thermostats, so a decent controller is a great idea. Also, as Paul mentioned, some redundancy by using two heaters is also a good idea. I used an old Pinpoint dual temperature controller I had left over from the chiller days, but would still replace the heaters every couple years, as a precaution.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on 3.5 years on a Sera and i haven't had an issue. I was curious too on the lifespan. Looks like a temp controller is the way to go.

Eddie Rogers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard will do get the replacement temp prob for JBJ unit form. I have the same one but when ever i plug it in it just says error

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 58 29.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.4%
Back