How Long Should Fish Live In Captivity

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some fish on different lists though nothing that has all commonly held captive fish. You can find some here"
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/12/fish2

and for gobies here:
https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-fish-longevity/

I have found that google searching especially on Wikipedia can quickly bring an answer, at least on a case by case basis.

Banggi Cardinal entry, for example says
"The species has a short life span, reaching around four years in optimal conditions in captivity, and perhaps 1 to 2 years in the wild."

It sounds like that would be a fun thing to put together, like with the hitchiker lists.

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some fish on different lists though nothing that has all commonly held captive fish. You can find some here"
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/12/fish2

and for gobies here:
https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-fish-longevity/

I have found that google searching especially on Wikipedia can quickly bring an answer, at least on a case by case basis.

Banggi Cardinal entry, for example says
"The species has a short life span, reaching around four years in optimal conditions in captivity, and perhaps 1 to 2 years in the wild."

It sounds like that would be a fun thing to put together, like with the hitchiker lists.

Ya if it doesn’t exist I’ll be happy to compile it

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different fish have different lifespans.

Clowns can live 20+years

Tangs 15+

Wrasses should be 5+

Any particular reason wrasses have a significantly shorter lifespan?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason wrasses have a significantly shorter lifespan?

Many species reproductive success and energy investment determines life span.

Greenland sharks live for centuries but rarely find a mate.

Many killifish live a season, lay eggs and die.

Cichlids care for their young and most live 10-25 years depending on species.

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very sad that wrasses are so short lived —- makes no sense to buy those rare fairy wrasse knowing the lifespan.

Are rabbitfish as long lived as Tangs?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've seen posts of clowns that were 30 or more years old, possibly 40, and I don't know anyone that really has put a number on that for certain.
It really varies depending on fish.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oldest verified goldfish was 43 years. Was won at fair.

Oldest koi is something 200+ dont remember exactly.

@PaulB @atoll must have some great insight for this thread.
Many of my fish got moved on when I moved house but I did have some for around 12 years or more. Bit of a wrench to let them go in truth but needs must at the time. My clowns for instance must have been 15 years old and were continually spawning even laying a second batch of eggs while the others had yet to hatch. Those clowns and my magnifica nem were on the front cover of one of Albert Thiels book 10 easy steps on the UK version.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only go by my experience but if you don't keep a tank long enough, how do you know how long a fish will live.
I have one fireclown who is about 27 and his mate is about 20. I had a couple of hippo tangs live for 12 years. I recently lost a pair of Watchman Gobies after 12 years. Bluestripe pipefish about 4 years. I think my copperband is about 8 but I expect she will live many more years. I have had mandarins about 10 years and I lost a pair of hermit crabs after 12 years.
Banded coral shrimp 7 years and blue devils 7 years. I am sure many fish live longer but not many people stay in the hobby or keep a tank long enough to really know.
Here are those Fireclowns spawning

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you need to remember is that we don't normally know how old our fish are when we get them, so it could be a baby or very old to begin with (size doesnt always equate to age).

Gareths post about is very true. With my breeding dottyback pairs, the male may reach 3 years if it's lucky after near constant spawning, the female lives longer by a few years and I've had single unpaired dotties live over 8 years.
I've also had unexpected fish live long lives, like a yellow coral goby reaching 8 years.

From my research when I was asking the same question I only really found clowns 20-30 years, and tangs 25+

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oldest verified goldfish was 43 years. Was won at fair.

Oldest koi is something 200+ dont remember exactly.

I remember reading about an Pomacanthus (might have been a six bar) that was in a public aquarium and in its 40s.

I also found when looking for my platydoras costatus, who was 25 at the time but now much older, that someone in Germany had one that was 47. So many fish are very long lived in our care.

BillyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think lifespan can also be influenced by temperature and water current. The higher the temp the more metabolism, the higher the current the more energy they have to use.

That's what i think. Temp is proven in freshwater.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genetics must play a role with individual fish. my girlfriends grandparents had a Corydoras that was 31 when it died last year. When i saw the tank i cant claim it was husbandry that was the cause [emoji23]

Last edited:

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you need to remember is that we don't normally know how old our fish are when we get them, so it could be a baby or very old to begin with (size doesnt always equate to age).

That's a good point. I was just about to ask the question if we really knew the age at purchase.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the higher the current the more energy they have to use.

Ime fish who live in high current areas tend to be fitter and fatter making them healthier. So I don't believe it shortens their lifespan, quite the opposite, assuming they can replenish the energy they use. Tangs who live in the surge zone are a good example.

Saying that more benthic fish do tend to live longish lives so there is longevity in laziness.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back