How long should I run my skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter reefer09
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reefer09

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 14, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
houston
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time poster here. I have a 130 gal reef aquarium with a heavy bioload. Currently my phosphates and nitrates are non-detectable. Up to now, I have always run my skimmer 24/7, but I am wondering if that is really necessary. I've been in the hobby for almost 1 year now and still have a lot to learn. I have not been this passionate about a hobby since I flew u-control airplanes as a kid!

Any perspective on the skimmer use is appreciated

Thanks,
Jeff
 
As your tank will become used to the elevated oxygen levels the skimmer provides, it is always a good idea to keep it running.
 
Last edited:
I only turn mine off when I feed the fish and corals an that's due to I turn return pumps off and slimmer would overflow


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Pumps seem to also work a lot better when run constantly. Otherwise they calcify up and things crawl in. Run it all the time unless you can automate it to shut off during feed.
 
Welcome to R2R!!
 
24/7 as well...I turn it off the clean the cup and it...I have heard of people not even turning it off when they clean the collection cup as they worry about it hurting the pump...I do not think it will.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new