How Long to leak test tank?

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday i took apart my 20gal high tank ( 24Lx12Wx17H ) and took off only took off one side that was 24Lx17H and turned the tank on its side and siliconed the piece back onto the tank where the opened top would normally be and made the tanks dimensions now 24Lx17Wx12H. I allowed the first initial silicone job dry approx 24 hours, than i went over the inside of the tank where the pieces meet once more to lay over one more silicone seal. Than i allowed that to sit for a bit over 24 hours. So the initial seal has had over 48 to dry.

Yesterday I filled the tank around 12pm and it has been holding water since without any bow or any sign of inperfections except my excessive amount of silicone and sloppyness with it :) but how long should I allow it to sit? 24 hours? 48 hours? a week? I plan on using this tank for the nano buildoff in 90.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24hours is sufficient time for a test. I would have let the initial silicone bond to go 72 hours first though.

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think i should empty now, let it sit overnight to let anything that might have not dried go even futher? or If it wasnt dry it would of showed by now, this is my first go at doing a silicone job at the level of causing a flood lol

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i actually may do is set it up but only fill the tank half way. I dont want to fill the tank completely as this will be a tidepool tank and i want some rock stickng out of surface so inverts can climb up them

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. I would say your all set, the second bead of silicone would have covered up the initial bond. I'd say your ok. the first bead is what bonds the glass. The second bead is not really needed, but most do it for peace of mind.
My tank doesn't have the second bead, all you see is glass, no silicone.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back