How long to mix Kalk for?

Gator_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - Wondering whats a reasonable mixing or stirring time to shoot for when adding kalk powder to my 5g ATO?

Currently I mix for about 10 seconds until its all consistently cloudy and replace the lid.

Concerned about if I mix too long due to CO2 and losing kalk potency, but also wondering if Im not mixing it long enough?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - Wondering whats a reasonable mixing or stirring time to shoot for when adding kalk powder to my 5g ATO?

Currently I mix for about 10 seconds until its all consistently cloudy and replace the lid.

Concerned about if I mix too long due to CO2 and losing kalk potency, but also wondering if Im not mixing it long enough?
Sounds ok. I actually fill a separate 25ltr container and shake it to death for a few seconds, let it settle, then put it in the ATO once a week, just to reduce the amount of powder at the bottom of the ATO..

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each situation will be different depending on the source of the kalk, if you are starting with fresh kalk or adding to an already existing kalk slurry in a reservoir.

The best method is to put an EC probe into the kalk reservoir, the ATO in this case, and watch for the reading to reach 10.3 mS/cm. At this reading the kalk is fully saturated. As the EC reading decreases, so does the saturation of the kalk. So at 5.15 mS/cm, you are at 50% saturation, etc. How long you need to mix for will become apparent when monitoring the saturation level using EC.

As you are using this in an ATO, a handheld pen type that can be dipped and then removed and stored would work. You might be surprised by the readings you receive which may show that you are not achieving as much saturation as you think you are.

The opposite is also true. In situations where your alkalinity is getting too high due to kalk over supplying alkalinity when used in an ATO. You can use the EC reading to fine tune the amount of kalk to add to acheive less than saturation and dial in the daily alkalinity. Admittedly this is less rare than going for full saturation, but does happen with ATO / kalk users occasionally.

Dennis

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back