how long to quarantine clownfish

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i’ve been watching this clownfish at my lfs for about a month now and i decided to pick it up and i have it in a quarantine tank right now
it eats fine it looks healthy hasn’t shown any signs of illness or anything like that
i’m thinking about trying to pair my clownfish in my main tank with this one and i’m also wondering the best way to do that should i like put my clown into the qt and let them get used to each other or should i put the clown in with the one in the main tank
but i don’t wanna get my clownfish i’ve had for a while sick so should i just keep it in quarantine for a month or try it

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I expect that you will get a range of answers. Assuming that the new clown isn't a female already, one of the risks of leaving a clownfish alone for a length of time is that it begins to transition to a female. I would lean toward moving both fish into an observation tank.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect that you will get a range of answers. Assuming that the new clown isn't a female already, one of the risks of leaving a clownfish alone for a length of time is that it begins to transition to a female. I would lean toward moving both fish into an observation tank.
ok so the new clown is just a juvenile clown he’s about one inch and the one i’ve had for a while is about 1 1/2 inches and i think my old one is now becoming a female so should i add my old clown to the qt tank so i can see how they will do

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok so the new clown is just a juvenile clown he’s about one inch and the one i’ve had for a while is about 1 1/2 inches and i think my old one is now becoming a female so should i add my old clown to the qt tank so i can see how they will do
Yes, that is my recommendation, but realize that others may have different thoughts.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Candidly there is no guarantee with clownfish, although there is a good chance the will go back to the nem when reintroduced to the DT. The nem should be fine in the meantime.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back