How long to wait before adding fish?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Neon Reef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Neon Reef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 4, 2008
Messages
571
Reaction score
6
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have to start all over again. Without going into details (too sad), how long is the life cycle of ich or other parasites/diseases such as velvet (not sure which did them in)? Going to leave my tank completely empty of fish and then only add quarantined fish into my dt. How long should I leave the tank empty? It's an established tank of about 2 yrs. Thanks
 
I would say for at least a month. I believe the life cycle on ich is two weeks, but I have always done a month just to be certain.
 
Life cycle for ich is six weeks. I would go without fish for two months to be truly safe. Add fish slowly once you start.
Gary
 
I agree with Gary. I would let the tank sit empty for a good eight weeks. You want to give it plenty of time.

Robin
 
ok, thanks for the great advice guys. I guess no fishies for 2 months for me : (
 
You mean no fishies in the DT for 2 months. That just means you have to get the QT tank going and you'll have two months to shop around for fishes.
 
That's just it, no room for a QT. Lucky for us in L.A, there is a store that quarantines their fish so I'm just going to get my fish from them once all is good with my tank.
BTW, that herper comment was a mild attempt at humor, sorry about that.
 
How long does this store quarantine fish for? Does this store medicate or use hypo salinity? If they dont eventually parasites will be reintroduced to your system.
 
+1 to everything said; 2 months and Kateater's comments. My choice LFS treats QT fish with copper, but he only QTs if the fish comes in with obvious problems.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new