How long until add a RFA?

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all,

I’m currently about to restart my tank, and my LFS has some RFAs I’d love to purchase. I know they’re relatively hardy, and once my tank cycles again I’ll be adding established bio media and some live rock. How long should I wait to add a RFA, will they be okay once my tank cycles, or should I wait a while longer?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re adding live rock, you should be good to go.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re adding live rock, you should be good to go.
Okay perfect. It’ll be a dry rock start, adding live bio media at start of cycle. And then adding some small live rock once it’s cycled if that makes a difference

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower anemones are super hardy, but I'd still give about 3-4 months before adding them. By then the uglies should be over if you used live rock.
Ahh see that’s the trouble, in Australia it’s super hard to source RFAs, not native here. Somehow someone got some, and I don’t want to miss out, but also don’t want to risk hurting them

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay perfect. It’ll be a dry rock start, adding live bio media at start of cycle. And then adding some small live rock once it’s cycled if that makes a difference
If you’re gonna be doin live rock, I’d pass on the dry rock. If you insist on goin with dead rock, I’d wait until live rock is added or at least 6 months of stable parameters before adding the RF.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re gonna be doin live rock, I’d pass on the dry rock. If you insist on goin with dead rock, I’d wait until live rock is added or at least 6 months of stable parameters before adding the RF.
Yeah awesome. I’ll probably do a mix of dry and live, wait a month after the cycle, see if I can pay a deposit and get them held for me. I feel like that should be okay, heard they don’t need pristine water conditions so it should be okay. I really appreciate the insight

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah awesome. I’ll probably do a mix of dry and live, wait a month after the cycle, see if I can pay a deposit and get them held for me. I feel like that should be okay, heard they don’t need pristine water conditions so it should be okay. I really appreciate the insight
Sounds like a plan. But RF’s don’t need pristine water, Just stable parameters. My tank had gone as high as 40ppm in NO3 and my RF’s didn’t care. I try to keep them between 5-15ppm.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, if you go with live rock, there’s virtually no waiting period for cycling.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan. But RF’s don’t need pristine water, Just stable parameters. My tank had gone as high as 40ppm in NO3 and my RF’s didn’t care. I try to keep them between 5-15ppm.
That’s fair. Stability is key really with all corals and inverts (excluding some SPS)

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, if you go with live rock, there’s virtually no waiting period for cycling.
Only worry is expense, and I’m paranoid after dealing with lobophora and gha outbreaks. On the topic, how long do you recommend waiting for a tube anemone?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only worry is expense, and I’m paranoid after dealing with lobophora and gha outbreaks. On the topic, how long do you recommend waiting for a tube anemone?
I started my tank completely dry, knowing what I know now, I’d start with as much live rock as I could afford solely because of all the ugly stage battles I went through with dry. I’ve never tried a tube anemone but could only assume that it’ll require the same stability as a RF. I also think that live rock has established enough macro’s to outcompete GHA.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank completely dry, knowing what I know now, I’d start with as much live rock as I could afford solely because of all the ugly stage battles I went through with dry. I’ve never tried a tube anemone but could only assume that it’ll require the same stability as a RF. I also think that live rock has established enough macro’s to outcompete GHA.
Yeah that’s a really good point. I’m doing a minimalist aquascape, mainly for softies, RFAs and a few LPS, so getting live rock should be decently cheap anyways.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At least 6 months! And they can very aggressive and should be in a large established tank. Not a small nano reef.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least 6 months! And they can very aggressive and should be in a large established tank. Not a small nano reef.
Was thinking a small tube nem, seen some people keep them with success in nanos (20gal). Maybe I shouldn’t get one though

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking a small tube nem, seen some people keep them with success in nanos (20gal). Maybe I shouldn’t get one though
I’ve read about what @AydenLincoln has said about aggressiveness. They stretch up to 8” I believe. In a nano tank that’s usually half the height of the tank. I think they’re pretty but I wouldn’t put one in my nano because I’ve read stories about perfectly healthy strong fish being eaten by them.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read about what @AydenLincoln has said about aggressiveness. They stretch up to 8” I believe. In a nano tank that’s usually half the height of the tank. I think they’re pretty but I wouldn’t put one in my nano because I’ve read stories about perfectly healthy strong fish being eaten by them.
May just leave it. I would never want to risk anything in the tank that could kill anything else. Of course that’s a risk with Everything, but I’d like to not take large avoidable risks. Plus, keeping everything at a healthy and happy capacity, caring for things properly is important.

Back