How Long Until dry rocks gets enough bacteria?

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I’m just starting up a new 5 gal tank (I’ve definitely got the bug back!) and I’ve seeded it with some rock from an existing tank (14 weeks old, was originally dry rock itself), as well as some new dry rock. I’ve also put in an inch of sand from the original tank (originally dry sand), and dosed with stability, which I’ll continue to do as instructed on the bottle. I added some water from the existing tank also.

How long until I’m able to take the seed rock out? There is probably 6x more dry rock than seed rock in there. There’s not really enough space to keep it there long-term.

It’s only been running for a few days currently.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
Ph - 8
Temp - 24deg C
Salinity - 1.026

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I’m just starting up a new 5 gal tank (I’ve definitely got the bug back!) and I’ve seeded it with some rock from an existing tank (14 weeks old, was originally dry rock itself), as well as some new dry rock. I’ve also put in an inch of sand from the original tank (originally dry sand), and dosed with stability, which I’ll continue to do as instructed on the bottle. I added some water from the existing tank also.

How long until I’m able to take the seed rock out? There is probably 6x more dry rock than seed rock in there. There’s not really enough space to keep it there long-term.

It’s only been running for a few days currently.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
Ph - 8
Temp - 24deg C
Salinity - 1.026
I assume you mean nitrifying bacteria. Add ammonia chloride to 0.5-1 ppm. If the ammonia is consumed in a day or two, most folks would say your done.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back