How long until I can put a tang back in therapeutic copper after it was exposed to hyper therapeutic levels?

DrewFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a yellow belly hippo tang, and I had planned to be a good responsible aquarist. Full 1 month QT with Coppersafe at 2.0 and PraziPro. I put it in the copper safe, adding enough to register 1.0 ppm on the API copper test. But I thought something might be off because it was more than the dosing recommendation on the bottle.

Given these tests are dang near impossible to read, I ordered a Hanna checker. It read 3.84 on two tests (3.75 and 3.84)! The fish was active and swimming, but I did not see it eat. It had been in that copper level for 5 or so days. So I yanked it and put it into regular salinity water fearing copper poisoning.

Now of course, it is a hippo tang and I see what looks to be small white spots (smaller than grains of sugar) So small that I cant get it on camera. It is not flashing, and it is eating. So assuming it is Ich, when can I put it back into a therapeutic copper bath?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish eating now? Copper has little residual effect, so you should be good to run Coppersafe at normal full dose now.
Jay

OP
OP
DrewFish

DrewFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish eating now? Copper has little residual effect, so you should be good to run Coppersafe at normal full dose now.
Jay
Yes, it is eating now. I pulled him due to reading somewhere (I think humble fish) that once copper poisoning has set in you have to discontinue QT with copper from that point forward. I did not clearly see that copper poisoning had set in, but 2x the therapeutic dose scared me.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only alternative would be try a non-copper antiprotozoal, and there aren’t a lot of choices nowadays, metronidazole comes to mind. I’ve always found coppersafe doses to be pretty close to the label instructions, as long as you know the exact volume of the tank, and if you use a good volumetric measuring device (pipette as opposed to a teaspoon).
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back