How long will oxygen last?

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long will oxygen last in the water? I have a 20g nuvo that had only 2 clowns in it and 3 frags. Tank is not new and has been cycled for over a year. Fish were qt long ago with copper power/prozi/ and focus products. Last night we lost power at 7pm I grabbed my deep cycle boat battery and hooked it up to a inverter and ran just the return pump From 7pm to 8am when I left for work. Before I left the battery measured 11.92v I thought it would be ok until I got home or had my mom come over and check on them. She come over at 2pm to put my food in a cooler since power was still not on and when she got there the pump was off because the inverter didn't have enough power. Right then the power come back on and I had her plug the return pump back Into my eb8. She said the fish were acting weird so she face timed me and In the vid they looked normal. When I got home at 7pm they were dead. I'm assuming it was lack of oxygen. I tried my best with what I had. I don't know exactly when the pump shut off at so my question is how long could they last with no water flow? When my apex connected water was only at 80 degrees so it wasn't a temp issue. I'm just ticked at myself cuz I did my best with what I had and I was 3 hrs away for work and couldn't get home. Salinity/temp/ammonia all good I'm guessing its just lack of oxygen.

20210707_191619.jpg

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, tough way to happen.

Even at your maximum of 6hrs, that doesn’t seem like it would be too much for 2 clowns in 20g, but it can deplete fast.

I just had an hour without power and despite everything looking fine I was getting nervous and started to go through the moves to get my generator set up. It’s remarkable how vulnerable these tanks are.

OP
OP
scooter24

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, tough way to happen.

Even at your maximum of 6hrs, that doesn’t seem like it would be too much for 2 clowns in 20g, but it can deplete fast.

I just had an hour without power and despite everything looking fine I was getting nervous and started to go through the moves to get my generator set up. It’s remarkable how vulnerable these tanks are.
It baffles me because I feel they should have been fine worst case but I have no clue. I've never delt with this. I'm in a 3rd story apartment so I can't use a generator. Last power outage was only 8 hrs or so but I forgot to charge the battery so im kinda a fault for not having it fully charged ready to go for the next time. I was literally going to order more fish today now I need to order 2 more clowns

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back