How loud is your skimmer?

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have reef octopus s 130 and its really loud. i have sound proof foam,rubber pad for vibration and door to competely isolate the sound, But it still bothers me when im sleeping eventhough its few feets away. It was been loud since i got it but it recently got worse. The weird thing is that i run a low nutrient tank so my nitrate and phos is really low but is skimming crazy even with lowest setting. Im not sure this is due to defect pump.

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t really tell if my octopus int300 is on or not.... the only annoying sound is maybe from the output flow and I added an extension so the water hitting back to the sump would be quieter..

OP
OP
mooputingtong

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can’t really tell if my octopus int300 is on or not.... the only annoying sound is maybe from the output flow and I added an extension so the water hitting back to the sump would be quieter..
what do u mean by adding an extension? Theres already a air intake preinstalled. I think its from pump but not 100 sure

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do u mean by running air intake outside? It already has air intake installed. Do u mean by installing another air intake?
The loudest thing on most skimmers is air intake. The silencer surely helps but I run my skimmer to outside air, and put silencer on the end outside of house. Sometimes not easy.
Run an extension hose that your current hose fits snug inside of

OP
OP
mooputingtong

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you take a picture/s of your sump/skimmer?

Have you disassembled your pump? Weather to inspect/clean lately?

20210117_171104.jpg 20210117_171051.jpg

i dissambled and cleaned multiple times already. i dont see any problems.

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t hear mine at all if the cabinet is closed. I have a Red Sea 600. When I first turned it on it sounded like a jet engine and I was a bit worried. I made sure to retighten everything and after a 7-14 day break in period it quieted right down.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My modified ASM antique is silent for the most part. It looks like your skimmer might be touching your ceramic block or the sides of the sump. Make sure they are not touching anything. A simple muffler on the air intake should eliminate any other noise.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radio silent.... I have the Maxspect Aeraqua Duo AD600 Protein Skimmer though.

Back