How low can alk go to?

Oscar Bravo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 14, 2017
Messages
344
Reaction score
175
Location
San Antonio
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had always tested my alkalinity at 8.5+/- with my doser. But recently I think something is wrong with it because my alk is at 7.0 (Salifer and RedSea). My notice my Red Dragon rtn one of his branches and my Digi a whole branch. Are they RTN due to my Alk. I cant find another reason.
 
I have had mine get down into the high 4s. I am not recommending this... just did not watch it closely enough before I turned my CaRx output up. In my case, it took months to get that low.

IMO, anything above 6 is fine unless you are trying to run Zeo, or the like and are dosing organic carbon. 7 is good. 8.5 is good. I would worry more about how stable it is and less about what the value is.

If those corals did RTN because of the alk, then it was likely because of a swing, not a low absolute number.
 
I have had mine get down into the high 4s. I am not recommending this... just did not watch it closely enough before I turned my CaRx output up. In my case, it took months to get that low.

IMO, anything above 6 is fine unless you are trying to run Zeo, or the like and are dosing organic carbon. 7 is good. 8.5 is good. I would worry more about how stable it is and less about what the value is.

If those corals did RTN because of the alk, then it was likely because of a swing, not a low absolute number.
What this guy said. :D
 
I think the change happen within a week, not from one day to another.

I recently just added about 11 frags and a few weeks before I added a few large frags. maybe this can be it. MY phos is at almost 0 and nitrate at 20 all the time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new