How low light is the Jason Fox Fox Flame?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 25, 2016
Messages
2,804
Reaction score
2,024
Location
Rochester, MN
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive always wanted this acro and im thinking I have a really good place for it. I want to achieve the yellow tips with the reddish body. I want to place it a couple inches off the floor of my tank. I have a 180 gal lit by 6 sbreef lights both channels turned to 100% and a t-5 retrofit kit. It would be sitting directly under one of the lights just on the very bottom of the tank. I think I get at least 150-200 par. Do you think I can achieve the coloration. if not do you have any suggestions?
 
Ive always wanted this acro and im thinking I have a really good place for it. I want to achieve the yellow tips with the reddish body. I want to place it a couple inches off the floor of my tank. I have a 180 gal lit by 6 sbreef lights both channels turned to 100% and a t-5 retrofit kit. It would be sitting directly under one of the lights just on the very bottom of the tank. I think I get at least 150-200 par. Do you think I can achieve the coloration. if not do you have any suggestions?
I'm not sure how it will do in that low of light. I keep my colony's in 400-500 PAR and they look like this:
JF Fox Flame DT.jpg
JF Fox Flame Growout.jpg
 
I just got 2 frags from a friend and his was more dark red than the purple of the post above but with the same bright yellow tips. His was at 200 par where it sits on the very back edge of his rock work. I guess it would depend on exactly where the frag was cut and those conditions.
 
It seems to me that the color is more dependent on the spectrum and nitrate / phosphate.
 
My Fox Flame is sitting in 300 + PAR. I'm not sure why people think it needs low light. I mean it can do okay in fairly low light, but it doesn't get over lit easily either though.
20200831_234645.jpg
 
My Fox Flame is sitting in 300 + PAR. I'm not sure why people think it needs low light. I mean it can do okay in fairly low light, but it doesn't get over lit easily either though.
20200831_234645.jpg
I have read that it produces better coloration at lower intensities. Since I was looking for something that likes lower light this fit the bill.
 
I don’t take pics of this one much, but I should. Here’s a pic from 5/16/20. Shouldn’t be light once it gets going and happy. My initial frag was. Took time to settle in.
336EF541-1448-49C0-9B63-AAB0E5D1591F.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new