How many AI 16 HD Primes recommended

Reaper_Six_Four

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 7, 2022
Messages
183
Reaction score
54
Location
76655
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48x20(d)x21(h) 72 gallon tank. I'll mostly be focusing on LPS and softies but may also entertain some SPS at a higher placement in the tank. How many 16 HD does everyone recommend for a tank dimension like this?
 
AI says the Prime can cover 24 inch square, so if you go by their recommendation, two would be sufficient. I find that to be lacking though. I would say for LPS and softies, you can probably do fine with 3. Later if you decide to go the SPS route, you can always add a 4th.
 
4-16hds or 2-32hds.
This is my 36x24x12 frag system running 3 16hds.
20220503_114006.jpg
 
I hate shadowing, so I always opt for more lights. On a 48" tank I would run 4x Primes. I'd group the two outside (end) lights on one "tank" and then group the two inside lights on a separate "tank" so you can adjust the two groups to different intensities (running the same schedule) for super even PAR from end-to-end.

That would also give you the headroom to grow whatever you wanted in that tank.
 
I agree with @CasperOe -- the BRS video goes into a ton of detail on the Prime 16 especially since you're running a standard 4ft tank. The great thing about the Prime is it's easy and cheap to add another later if you need it once you start to get growth that introduces shadowing.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new