how many Anthias in reefer 900?

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got a Red Sea reefer 900 and want to now how many anthias can I have I was thinking 1 male lyertail with 5 females and possible 1 male Carberryi Anthias with 6 Females leaving me with 13 anthias. I do want to know how much bio load this will take up and how many fish I can add with the anthias like wrasses damsel and some tangs I am shooting for 5 tangs please let me know.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the 900 xl correct? What is the age of the tank? That fish count is more than likely fine just be careful how fast you add them depending how established your reef is and be prepared for multiple feedings a day with Anthias

I love them but it’s one of this fish I no longer keep as they always drop in numbers over time for me where my other fish have been with me for years.

My tank is fed heavy 3 times a day

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the 900 xl correct? What is the age of the tank? That fish count is more than likely fine just be careful how fast you add them depending how established your reef is and be prepared for multiple feedings a day with Anthias

I love them but it’s one of this fish I no longer keep as they always drop in numbers over time for me where my other fish have been with me for years.

Thanks it is a 900 xl and the tank has not been set up yet so I am just trying to come up with a final list!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly. I gave up on them. I tried over 7 times in 4 years. Haven’t kept them longer than 2 months. I fed multiple times a day and it did nothing. They always die and I know I’m not the only one who experiences this.

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking species aggression out of the equation, the old rule of thumb (and that's all it is) is 1" of fish for every gallon, so based solely on that you can easily keep the number of anthias you reference in a 900 liter. There are obviously complexities associated with body mass once you start adding tangs and other fish, but your stocking plan seems fine to me--with the possible exception of what type tangs you are thinking about: zebrasomas and similar being on the smaller end of the spectrum, and Acans, etc., being on the larger end. I have a Red Sea P500 and I have three anthias, two clowns, a couple of gobies, two small wrasses and two tangs, and everyone gets along well and the tank does not look crowded and the filtration easily keeps up with the waste (I actually have to dose nitrate and phosphate).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back