How many biota yellow tangs can I have?

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 82.7"L x 25.6"H x 26.75"W tank (Red Sea s1000, 265g), and I was wondering how many biota yellow tangs I can have in the first year, and second year as they grow? They come like 1.25", so they are tiny. After the first year, or when they show aggression, I can rehome them or move to my other tanks. For now, I want to have a large group of baby yellow tangs, and I want to know how many to get. Currently, I only have 5 anthias, a midas blenny, and a small wrasse in the tank with corals.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'd say 5-9 in that size tank but that depends what else you're going to keep along them. Are you planning other tangs or large fish?

Since you are ok passing them on later... you should be fine either way.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, with small fish, dozens is the answer. Of course, that will cost thousands and in a few years time will get to be quite a bit too much, but if they're healthy, I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to find homes for a bunch of young adult yellow tangs in a few year's time.

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lyretail and yellowtail wrasse. 100 yellow tangs??? :star-struck: Thats like $16,500. Yea, biota breeds yellow tangs.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not buy enough that you don't have to rehome them? I recently set up a similar sized tank 84x30x25" I almost went with the s1000 but wanted the 30" depth. As to tangs I added 3 biota babies and have an adult already. I put the babies in first and have had no aggression other than the occasional tail slap.
PXL_20240603_224825321.jpg

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only spent $2000 this time. What are you going to do with all the leftover money:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very similar dimensions to a standard 180, except 10" longer.

I would do 1 yellow tang, among somewhere between 2-4 other tangs/rabbits/angels/butterflies. Or, if YTs are the only fish in that size range, 3-5 of them.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wholesaler in the 90s had 100 plus semi adults in a 100 gallon tank on a large central filtration system and honestly they looked fine. I'm more concerned with a single having enough space to roam and then at that point filtration determines biomass load. It's not like they are going to bump into each other. They don't on the reef where tangs school in tight packs.

Not saying one should throw a 100 tangs in a 100 gallon. Just stating the fact the volume calculation isn't black and white based on X number of this to Y gallons.

Since re-home an option. I'd stick as many as possible assuming filtration can handle the biomass. Might see them when young swimming in groups from one end to another. That would be cool but likely short lived or might turn out that as full grown adults they still roam in packs, if not all together. Seen first hand where a large group of tangs behave better than when each had it's own tank. Safety in numbers how they evolved and quite frankly might be more stressful to have shoaling fish in a tank alone regardless how big.

Have thought about this with powder blues. Big shoal would be mesmerizing.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 82.7"L x 25.6"H x 26.75"W tank (Red Sea s1000, 265g), and I was wondering how many biota yellow tangs I can have in the first year, and second year as they grow? They come like 1.25", so they are tiny. After the first year, or when they show aggression, I can rehome them or move to my other tanks. For now, I want to have a large group of baby yellow tangs, and I want to know how many to get. Currently, I only have 5 anthias, a midas blenny, and a small wrasse in the tank with corals.
Do you have a picture of your tank?

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-5 Yellow tang should be safe long term in that tank. You won't want to catch them out later on once they're established because they can be quick and know their way around the rockwork.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-5 Yellow tang should be safe long term in that tank. You won't want to catch them out later on once they're established because they can be quick and know their way around the rockwork.
I suspect that you know what you are talking about. :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Just for discussion, do you think Biota would give a discount break if the OP purchased 100 tangs (and had the space for them)?

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming OP had the means to remove unwanted later then what would be the recommendation? How dense are your breeding tanks, for example?

Simple enough to build plastic traps with elongated opening to periodically trap and remove. Leave anything in a tank long enough and life assumes it safe.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that you know what you are talking about. :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Just for discussion, do you think Biota would give a discount break if the OP purchased 100 tangs (and had the space for them)?
For 100 we could probably work something out but we'd make sure they'd have sufficent space for them. We have a few giant schools out there in some customers tanks

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming OP had the means to remove unwanted later then what would be the recommendation? How dense are your breeding tanks, for example?

Simple enough to build plastic traps with elongated opening to periodically trap and remove. Leave anything in a tank long enough and life assumes it safe.
Our breeding tanks are pretty dense but also we don't have rockwork in there but instead opt for PVC structures that are easily removable and we can clean and sanatize between uses.

We had a tang gang of 7 in our office 300G and wanted to catch a few out for a public aquarium display and after a few days they won the battle and we took all the rock out and re-scaped the whole thing.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our breeding tanks are pretty dense but also we don't have rockwork in there but instead opt for PVC structures that are easily removable and we can clean and sanatize between uses.

We had a tang gang of 7 in our office 300G and wanted to catch a few out for a public aquarium display and after a few days they won the battle and we took all the rock out and re-scaped the whole thing.
Understood on the complexity of removing established fish but curious how many can be kept assuming tank long and wide enough to accommodate. Could a 12ft x 4ft by 3ft high display house 20 or 30 adults or more and obviously adequate filtration.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood on the complexity of removing established fish but curious how many can be kept assuming tank long and wide enough to accommodate. Could a 12ft x 4ft by 3ft high display house 20 or 30 adults or more and obviously adequate filtration.
That's around ~1100G, in a tank that size you could likely keep around 20-30 adults. We have a customer with 16 in a 1400G tank but also has a ton of our angelfish and other species in there.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back