How many cleaner shrimp?

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times, but I'm curious. I have a 40 gallon tank and would like to add some cleaner shrimp.

Would a pair of skunk cleaner shrimps be an ok fit for that size tank? Or just keep a single one?

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skunk cleaners are a PITA if you have coral imo. It is nice for movement but they steal all food hah

my blood shrimp is cooler looking and doesn’t rob everyone

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Are planning to keep corals? If so none in my opinion. I had one for a long time . It was beautiful and active . Even had a name. The only problem was every time I feed my corals it would steal food. They are voracious eaters.

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are planning to keep corals? If so none in my opinion. I had one for a long time . It was beautiful and active . Even had a name. The only problem was every time I feed my corals it would steal food. They are voracious eaters.
Yes, we already have a few corals: xenia, Duncan and some zoa and a Goni. They would also be joining a pistol shrimp

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single skunk cleaner shrimp in a 40 gallon and really like him.

As stated, they're super aggressive so that's fun for friends/neighbors since you can hand-feed them but, as others stated, they'll steal food from anything you try to spot feed.

I only have zoas/ricordea and don't target feed them but if I ever try, I have to hand the shrimp a chunk of clam (or chunk of shrimp, doh!) to distract him.

I think two would be fine together but a single already covers a lot of area so two would be more calamity (if trying to spot feed anything).

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single skunk cleaner shrimp in a 40 gallon and really like him.

As stated, they're super aggressive so that's fun for friends/neighbors since you can hand-feed them but, as others stated, they'll steal food from anything you try to spot feed.

I only have zoas/ricordea and don't target feed them but if I ever try, I have to hand the shrimp a chunk of clam (or chunk of shrimp, doh!) to distract him.

I think two would be fine together but a single already covers a lot of area so two would be more calamity (if trying to spot feed anything).
We use to have 2 peppermint shrimp and they would steal all the food they could from everything. Leaning towards 1 skunk shrimp and 1 blood shrimp

kukawskim80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times, but I'm curious. I have a 40 gallon tank and would like to add some cleaner shrimp.

Would a pair of skunk cleaner shrimps be an ok fit for that size tank? Or just keep a single one?
Yes a pair would be fine! Be aware they tend to steal food from coral and cause them to close up

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pair is acceptable and may even breed for you but dont count on it as a guarantee.

Back