How many clownfish can we add to new 210 gallon?

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand you can add many clowns, as long as they are all juveniles from the same clutch, then natures hierarchy within the clan will take over, with a breeding female and breeding Male and the rest stay juveniles. I'm not sure on all the facts, but troubles can occur when they split off in a larger tank, and in turn break away as 2 families. Or they can kill off the weaker ones. Also Marc has his 60 gal nem tank with lots of clowns.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have clownfish. But I saw a friend’s tank. He had a 180.... the classic 6’x’x2’. He had 2 pair of ocillaris clowns. The biggest female in the tank kept bullying the less dominant pair. 6’ was not enough size for 2 pair.

Lita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

whether you can have multiple clowns in a tank depends on what you are trying to do , how big the tank is the clowns and luck.

if you want a harem tank your best bet is to have at least a 3ft tank 4 is better. You need to feed often and provide plenty of territory, to remove competition.
You improve your chances of all fish are from same species colour and same clutch even better.
All fish go in at once. Any deviation from this will impact the odds of long term success but it’s still possible to have different clutches, different colours or species but it’s just harder.

if you want to have multiple pairs or a pair and another of another species it really depends kn the size of tank and luck and a bit of planning and thought and a lot of luck.
I house a pair of ocellaris in a 100 ish gallon with a 4ft length. The ocellaris spawn often in a cave on the left but don’t host my BTA anemones even after years . I added a tomato clownfish thinking a. It is more aggressive but smaller and new addition, it will host and be protected by the anemones so hopefully it balances out. It did. I kept lights low for several hours which reduced aggression until the juvenile tomato could discover the anemones . Once in there my ocellaris female no longer tried to bother it and the tomato defended just that area . The ocellaris had a mega tantrum for about an hour chasing everything else but once that was over she settled back in her caves with the male and partly hosting an adjoining leather . Someone else could try this and it may fail . I was prepared to move the ocellaris if needed to a 40 gallon breeder. I think very often the drive to add new species of clowns to a community tank is due to ocellaris not hosting , if that’s the case I’d say unless you know for a fact they host whatever anemones you have or plan to have don’t do it , match your clownfish to whatever anemones you are able to keep, if this is something you absolutely want in your tank as is the case for many.

Rubber Ducky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what about say I'm looking to add cool unique clowns to a 70 gallon mixed reef with a flame angel, royal gramma, green goby, 6 line wrasse and a cleaner shrimp...the fish haven't had any new companions in about 6 months...so say I wanted to add a pair of clowns...would it be possible to mix n match different kinds in this size tank? For example, can I get say a snowflake oscilarus and a mocha and have them co-habitate and be successful? Or should I just stick with a pair of the same kind?

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that 210 I would either do a pair or a large harem from the same clutch with a lot of anemones. I couldn’t see multiple pairs doing well, a harem might have better chances of long term stability. I’m also assuming a 210 is a 6’ tank at least.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back