How many cubes per day?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aaron186
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

aaron186

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2015
Messages
712
Reaction score
223
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gal fish that is stocked with 12 fish. I’m currently feeding avast marine reef jerky 7x per day for 1 minute. (3 min run time is equivalent 1 cube of frozen food per packaging). This equates to 2.33 cubes per day. I’m running a refugium and filter sock. My phosphates have recently spiked to 0.2 on Hannah checker. Nitrates are 10. I’m changing out 1.4 gallons per day via autowater changes.

How many cubes per day would seem like enough for these 12 fish? I’m not sure if I’m over feeding.

Purple tang
White Tail Tang
Fox Face
Coral Beauty
Melanurus Wrasse
1 Resplendent Anthias
Royal Gramma
Pink Spot Watchman Goby
Bicolor Blenny
2 clowns
Mandarin
 
Last edited:
Thank you for catching typo… Phosphates. I’ll fix it
Ok… makes more sense.

0.2 you start paying attention to but it’s nothing to be worried about quite yet. I don’t think you’re over feeding.

I might consider adding filter floss to the socks to see if increasing mechanical filtration a little might work.

Do you have a skimmer?
 
Ok… makes more sense.

0.2 you start paying attention to but it’s nothing to be worried about quite yet. I don’t think you’re over feeding.

I might consider adding filter floss to the socks to see if increasing mechanical filtration a little might work.

Do you have a skimmer?
Yes I have a filter roller, a chaeto fuge, and a octo elite 150sss. I just changed the skimmer to be a little wetter tonight. I’m just curious if I’m in the ballpark of where I should be with food. Everything is growing well
 
Yes I have a filter roller, a chaeto fuge, and a octo elite 150sss. I just changed the skimmer to be a little wetter tonight. I’m just curious if I’m in the ballpark of where I should be with food. Everything is growing well
In my opinion, this number of cubes a day is totally reasonable.
 
I would start with one and see how fast they eat it. If the food is gone in 10-15 seconds I feed a little more. If food is still floating around after one minute, then I kick myself for feeding too much and feed a little less next time.

Then feed that same amount 2 or 3 times a day.

There is no number to tell you. You have to figure it out by trial and error. Remember you can add more but you can’t take it out.
 
I would start with one and see how fast they eat it. If the food is gone in 10-15 seconds I feed a little more. If food is still floating around after one minute, then I kick myself for feeding too much and feed a little less next time.

Then feed that same amount 2 or 3 times a day.

There is no number to tell you. You have to figure it out by trial and error. Remember you can add more but you can’t take it out.
The issue is that I’m using an Avast Marine Plank that feeds freeze dried plankton. It comes on for 1 minute, 7x a day (every other hour while lights on) for a total of 2.33 cubes per day. Its multiple small feedings
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new