How many cubes ?

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a quick question for my fellow reefers... How many cubes would you feed per day/per week? Tank is 90 gallons with a 45 gallon sump. 1 hippo tank, pair of clowns, purple dottyback, melanarus wrasse and a dwarf angel. Corals are all softies which all seem to be in a growing slump. Wondering if I am underfeeding. I wont post how many I feed until I see what you guys and gals suggest. Thank you in advance.
Mike

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had a quick question for my fellow reefers... How many cubes would you feed per day/per week? Tank is 90 gallons with a 45 gallon sump. 1 hippo tank, pair of clowns, purple dottyback, melanarus wrasse and a dwarf angel. Corals are all softies which all seem to be in a growing slump. Wondering if I am underfeeding. I wont post how many I feed until I see what you guys and gals suggest. Thank you in advance.
Mike

Depends on how big the fish are and what they are used to eating. We tend to dose slightly less what they will fully consume before leaving waste on the floor(if there is waste, we have to syphon). If you want to get the fish into spawning behavior, you're going to need to overfeed.

OP
OP
Watevadog5

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns have been spawing for well over a year although I have not tried to raise them. Turns out to be more fish food for the other fish. Hippo is roughly 4-5 inches. Clowns no bigger then inch and a half but nice and plump. Same for dottyback and dwarf angel. Melanarus is probably 3-4 inches and quite round as well =]

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The clowns have been spawing for well over a year although I have not tried to raise them. Turns out to be more fish food for the other fish. Hippo is roughly 4-5 inches. Clowns no bigger then inch and a half but nice and plump. Same for dottyback and dwarf angel. Melanarus is probably 3-4 inches and quite round as well =]

When you feed, are any of the fish particularly aggressive/pigs that prevent your other fish from eating?

OP
OP
Watevadog5

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all play well. The only issue I ever see if the clowns hesitate to come up to the top. They either hate to leave the eggs unprotected or just don't like leaving their nem. The hippo is a voracious eater but doesn't prevent the others from eating.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ill go with 1.5 cubes per feeding, 2x per day

edit: assuming you are only feeding frozen cubes.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what you described I would be using 1/2 cube with some rods mixed in.

If cube only I would go with 1

I have a heavily stocked 45. They get 1/2 cube a day mixed with rods, coral nectar, reef roids, and photo.

OP
OP
Watevadog5

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep them coming ! thanks guys. Btw I totally forgot to mention I feed a mix of brine, mysis and cubes called marine delight that seem to contain a little of everything. In addition half a sheet of nori 1 or 2x a week plus some pellets from time to time when I walk by.

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10 fish in a 75. 3 decent size 7 small. I feed quarter cube mysis, quarter cube brine and mix in pellets

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 3- 4 cubes a day. 1/2 in the AM and 1/2 in the PM . I have 14 to 16 small to med fish, 3 shrimp and a few crabs. I also feed live white worms at mid day.
I would think 1 to 2 cubes should be fine.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just gradually increase feeding until you notice food going uneaten after a few minutes.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-4 feedings a day. 2-3 with a quality flake or pellet food and 1-2 with the standard mix of frozen foods. I would use 1-2 cubes of frozen when feeding the frozen. If you like to feed nori I would do that 2 times a week. It really depends on your tank, levels of no3 and po4. If they are high then you need to feed less and/or increase filteration /export. If they are low you may need to feee more often and/or increase the bioload with more fish. Be sure to test often when making changes.

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 1 frozen cube in morning and a good amount of pellets in afternoon. Throw in some nori every once in a while too. 9 fish in 90g. 2 tangs, 5" melanurus wrasse and various smaller fish.

They all look fat to me.

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 1 frozen cube in morning and a good amount of pellets in afternoon. Throw in some nori every once in a while too. 9 fish in 90g. 2 tangs, 5" melanurus wrasse and various smaller fish.

They all look fat to me.
I'm with you. I feed 1 cube or rather half a cube of 2 different foods with some pellets mixed in. I couldn't imagine putting 2 or 3 cubes in. I have 9 in a 75 gallon. I feel like the 1 cube is too much sometimes

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back