How many CUC do I really need?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For a 160 gallon 10 snails is a fraction of what you will want.

I have a 25 gallon, 20 gallons of actual display area and I have 5 super nassarius, a half dozen or so trochus, astrea, and nerite and now hundreds (literally) of stomatella. They all have plenty to eat and algae still grows on the glass.

I also have two hermits.

Just don’t add them right at the beginning. Add them after you have some algae growth and in stages.
I have 25 turban snails in a 420 and some have died off due to no algae being available. 10 turbo snails do a lot of work they are large and work all night eating algae. Also a tomini or bristletooth tang can be added if they aren't keeping up but I doubt that would be that case. Turbo snails are larger than any of those snails and almost exclusively feed on algae.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It doesn't make sense to add a ton if they're not necessary. Add 10 turbo snails and a couple hermits to scavenge and add more later if needed, but they are efficient at what they do.

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 25 turban snails in a 420 and some have died off due to no algae being available. 10 turbo snails do a lot of work they are large and work all night eating algae. Also a tomini or bristletooth tang can be added if they aren't keeping up but I doubt that would be that case. Turbo snails are larger than any of those snails and almost exclusively feed on algae.
For sure, snail type is important. For the types the OP listed he’d need way more.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 160 gallon 10 snails is a fraction of what you will want.

I have a 25 gallon, 20 gallons of actual display area and I have 5 super nassarius, a half dozen or so trochus, astrea, and nerite and now hundreds (literally) of stomatella. They all have plenty to eat and algae still grows on the glass.

I also have two hermits.

Just don’t add them right at the beginning. Add them after you have some algae growth and in stages.
Okie thank you so much!

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, reefcleaners.org is a good resource. Even if they don’t ship to Bangladesh you can see what they recommend.

155 gallon tank:
170 nassarius
29 cerith
46 astrea
42 hermits

Of course this is not right away in a new tank.
Yeah, have to wait for the tank to have algae and then add as needed!

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have 3-4 tangs and maybe a fox face. So, do you think that 6 trochus snails will be too many? I am thinking of getting 6 trochus’s for algae, a conch for the sand bed (not sure what type yet) and a cleaner and fire red shrimp to scavenge for stuff.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't make sense to add a ton if they're not necessary. Add 10 turbo snails and a couple hermits to scavenge and add more later if needed, but they are efficient at what they do.
I will have 3-4 tangs and a go face. So do you think that the trochus’s may run out of food? I will add shrimp to scavenge for food and a conch for the sand bed. What do you think?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will have 3-4 tangs and maybe a fox face. So, do you think that 6 trochus snails will be too many? I am thinking of getting 6 trochus’s for algae, a conch for the sand bed (not sure what type yet) and a cleaner and fire red shrimp to scavenge for stuff.
Tangs and foxface will definitely be great algae cleaners. Shrimp depends on what livestock you plan on adding, would be a no go if you want triggers or wrasse. 1 fighting conch would be enough for a 160 I have only a fighting conch and tiger conch in my 420 predator tank.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not familiar with trochus and how efficient they are. I'd think 6 would be okay though.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs and foxface will definitely be great algae cleaners. Shrimp depends on what livestock you plan on adding, would be a no go if you want triggers or wrasse. 1 fighting conch would be enough for a 160 I have only a fighting conch and tiger conch in my 420 predator tank.
I see thank you so much! Which conch do you prefer and why? Please let me know!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back