OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also changed the puffer to a lyretail anthias. And the tang is a scopas tang.
Twice a week with those fish. And that’s the Bare Minimum IMO. Again, take it in steps with 1-2 at a time because even though the previous tank was running for a month Thats still a risk. Aggression from a tang, trigger and puffer is hell in a box, do the most peaceful first then the tang (Again, what type of tang is it?) and the trigger at the same time and then finally get the puffer into QT.

4 fish changes nothing, their bio load is the issue. 4 fish with VERY heavy bio loads in a tank that isn’t a big enough water volume to remove the nutrients is often bad.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also changed the puffer to a lyretail anthias. And the tang is a scopas tang.
Okay, so that could still work however the Anthias will need to be QTed with the Angel too - The tang and trigger will need to be done together and not with the Angel and Anthias since a tang and those two in a 20g tank… bad move unfortunately.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the ammonia issues, just get a big sponge or a a bunch of plastic biomedia and cycle it or dump a big bottle of bacteria in. No need to do a million water changes if you just get some biomedia/biosponges and bacteria. Have an oversized HOB filter to pick up leftover food and rinse the filter pad in the hob once a day (NOT the biosponges/media)

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have some microbacter 7 on hand on more media in an established tank thank you for your help

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so that could still work however the Anthias will need to be QTed with the Angel too - The tang and trigger will need to be done together and not with the Angel and Anthias since a tang and those two in a 20g tank… bad move unfortunately.
Why is the tang bad with those 2 they are all the same size?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have some microbacter 7 on hand on more media in an established tank thank you for your help

Also if you wanted t a bigger tank for QT, consider bins from home depot or similar. I used a 29 gallon bin to QT a kole tang for a month.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you wanted t a bigger tank for QT, consider bins from home depot or similar. I used a 29 gallon bin to QT a kole tang for a month.
I have heard of people doing that but My parents said no more tanks because i have 2 display tanks and 1quarentine tank. But thanks for your suggestion

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the tang bad with those 2 they are all the same size?
Aggressive b*******, trust me my old scopas was the same size as the one you’re getting and he killed a CBB in a day - This was a 3’x2’x2.5’ tank. These IMO should only be in a QT with a fish that are as aggressive as they are, if you QT them with an Angel and Anthias then because those fish are peaceful they most likely will not have a way to defend themselves against the tang.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggressive b*******, trust me my old scopas was the same size as the one you’re getting and he killed a CBB in a day - This was a 3’x2’x2.5’ tank. These IMO should only be in a QT with a fish that are as aggressive as they are, if you QT them with an Angel and Anthias then because those fish are peaceful they most likely will not have a way to defend themselves against the tang.
That sucks, would a sailfin be better also besides aggression would it be fine. one of my friends had a scopas with no problems I’m not saying your wrong but all fish are different. I had a six line wrasse and he was an angel

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry if you feel like I am going against you when you are trying to help me just trying to get the best answer

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks, would a sailfin be better also besides aggression would it be fine. one of my friends had a scopas with no problems I’m not saying your wrong but all fish are different. I had a six line wrasse and he was an angel
I can’t speak on the sailfin aggression but I think the bigger ones are just as bad, also what is the size of the final tank?

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT a bristletooth tang and Lyretail Anthias together in a 20 long and had no issues. Now they’re in the DT and hang together. YMMV.
5EEB9241-6B76-4EF7-B96C-9B1D75FBB052.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is around 112 gallons
So, a 4’x2’x2’ tank? Small issue; Tang police will be at your door… I recommend going with a Ctenochaetus tang (Sailfins and most of the Zebrasoma genus get too big for that tank size). The specific tangs (I only recommend having one though) I recommend from Ctenochaetus are;
- Twin spot bristletooth,
- White tail bristletooth,
- Square tail bristletooth,
- Blue lipped bristletooth,
(Essentially avoid the striated and chevrons - Although with the Hawaiian ban, chevrons are basically impossible to get).
Also the triggerfish may get too big eventually but I’m unsure (I can’t remember the growth rate on those guys). The rest should be alright!!
If you want a Zebrasoma then the yellow tang may work (If you can bypass the price tag). I think you could get away with a Yellow Scopas though since they’re a hybrid and most likely won’t get as big as the scopas.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT a bristletooth tang and Lyretail Anthias together in a 20 long and had no issues. Now they’re in the DT and hang together. YMMV.
5EEB9241-6B76-4EF7-B96C-9B1D75FBB052.jpeg
Awesome thanks for showing me

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a 4’x2’x2’ tank? Small issue; Tang police will be at your door… I recommend going with a Ctenochaetus tang (Sailfins and most of the Zebrasoma genus get too big for that tank size). The specific tangs (I only recommend having one though) I recommend from Ctenochaetus are;
- Twin spot bristletooth,
- White tail bristletooth,
- Square tail bristletooth,
- Blue lipped bristletooth,
(Essentially avoid the striated and chevrons - Although with the Hawaiian ban, chevrons are basically impossible to get).
Also the triggerfish may get too big eventually but I’m unsure (I can’t remember the growth rate on those guys). The rest should be alright!!
If you want a Zebrasoma then the yellow tang may work (If you can bypass the price tag). I think you could get away with a Yellow Scopas though since they’re a hybrid and most likely won’t get as big as the scopas.
I think that most tangs can go in a 100 gallon tank as long as they are under 1 foot long but if they get to big I will rehome them thanks for looking out for me

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that most tangs can go in a 100 gallon tank as long as they are under 4” long but if they get to big I will rehome them thanks for looking out for me
just quickly corrected that, I find a 4” sailfin in a 4’ tank will start to spasm but because of the Ctenochaetus tangs swim pattern (Patches) they can stay in that tank for their whole life IMO.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just quickly corrected that, I find a 4” sailfin in a 4’ tank will start to spasm but because of the Ctenochaetus tangs swim pattern (Patches) they can stay in that tank for their whole life IMO.
I’m getting a scopas not a sailfin

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back