How many fish to maintain a low to medium bioload?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon aquarium that is fallow for 3 weeks now r/t ick break out in the main tank, during this period I have the fish being quarantined in copper. My question is with a protein skimmer, algae turf scrubber, weekly 10% water exchanges with RODI and vinegar dosing what should my optimal fish level be? I had in my 150 the following fish: 1 Magnificient Foxface, 1 yellow tang, 1 blue hippo tang, 1 yellow eye ( didnt survive), 5 chromis (2 didnt survive), 3 clownfish, 1 coral beauty, 1 pink spotted goby, 1 neon goby (didnt survive), 1 banggai cardinal. I plan to sale the foxface and the pink spotted goby so I will be left with. 1 yellow tang, 1 blue hippo tang, 3 chromis, 3 clown fish, 1 coral beauty. Should I sale more fish to get to a lower bioload or would this be the optimal amount of fish? Also should I add raw shrimp over the last 5 weeks of the fallow to keep up the beneficial bacteria? My levels were prior to moving the fish: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 14, Phospate .08. Currently Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, Phospate 0. Thanks in advance for any advice!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say your new list is low to medium stock for that size tank generally speaking, and if it were my tank I'd probably keep more/and or other fish too, but perhaps you are recognizing that heavy bioload can bring on risk of stress and potential health compromises.

I would add to this that it may be a good time to pull one clown, typically as they mature they will pair up and the 3rd wheel often gets rejected and could be harmed, I would only keep one pair in that size tank.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say your new list is low to medium stock for that size tank generally speaking, and if it were my tank I'd probably keep more/and or other fish too, but perhaps you are recognizing that heavy bioload can bring on risk of stress and potential health compromises.

I would add to this that it may be a good time to pull one clown, typically as they mature they will pair up and the 3rd wheel often gets rejected and could be harmed, I would only keep one pair in that size tank.
Thanks! 1 clown is a Picasso the other 2 are pink skunk, I have considered selling the 2 pink skunk clowns.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I really like both of those as clowns go, but I do personally have a preference for picasso's, either would be good, but I would take this time to make a choice, and if you plan to have an anemone you may want to check natural host matches, perhaps that will help you in making that choice.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I really like both of those as clowns go, but I do personally have a preference for picasso's, either would be good, but I would take this time to make a choice, and if you plan to have an anemone you may want to check natural host matches, perhaps that will help you in making that choice.
Would I be able to pair the picasso with a black ice?

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or if you really wanna reduce the stress level further, sell the tangs, replace them with butterflies ( im guessing you dont have corals....) :D;)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 57 45.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back