How many gph return pump for a frag tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ValorG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ValorG

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 9, 2013
Messages
304
Reaction score
4
Location
Valley Stream, NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag tank that is 3x2' and 8" deep. Will be using probably a 20 gallon sump and I will probably have about 3' of head. I will be growing only zoas in this frag tank so how many gph return pump would be good for me?
 
There are so many things to consider in making this decision. What is the capacity of your overflow? Are you going to use the return pump as a main part of your in-tank flow?
 
Same tank on my end. I am looking at running a mag 3 or quiet one 2200.
 
I will just be using 1" vertical pvc as the overflows. Maybe 1-2 of them. And I would like to use the return pump as my main in tank flow.

There are so many things to consider in making this decision. What is the capacity of your overflow? Are you going to use the return pump as a main part of your in-tank flow?
 
Like I said, there are a lot of variables. You need to figure out your overflow rate, reduce head pressure and fittings. Also, might want to spread out your return flow to several areas of your tank. You figure out your overflow (I'd consider using 1 1/2" pipe, big increase) and I'll help you further from there.
GPHpipe.jpg

Aquarium Plumbing: Flexible Ball Socket Joint Tubing and Accessories
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new