How many kessils do I need?

greg1786

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 28, 2012
Messages
220
Reaction score
116
Location
Baltimore, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I set up a 32" long x 24" wide x 24" deep SCA rimless aquarium about a year and six months ago. I currently have a single Kessil A360we centered up at about 7" above the water level being run at about 60% intensity. I have one acan and a small frag of zoas on the sand bed and both are doing well. I am getting ready to start adding in some acros and was hoping to get some opinions from you guys about if I have enough lighting or should I add another Kessil? Two A360we seems like it is alot for this tank but I was condsidering maybe adding the 160we along side my current a360we. What do y'all think? Enough as is or add more? Thanks guys
 
Kessil A360we's I quite like, and I consider them to have a 24"x24" footprint. So I'd do two for your 32" tank, honestly. Having two points of light goes a long way to eliminating dark spots and shadowing.

@Reefer Matt is a Kessil fan, what do you think?
 
Hello! I set up a 32" long x 24" wide x 24" deep SCA rimless aquarium about a year and six months ago. I currently have a single Kessil A360we centered up at about 7" above the water level being run at about 60% intensity. I have one acan and a small frag of zoas on the sand bed and both are doing well. I am getting ready to start adding in some acros and was hoping to get some opinions from you guys about if I have enough lighting or should I add another Kessil? Two A360we seems like it is alot for this tank but I was condsidering maybe adding the 160we along side my current a360we. What do y'all think? Enough as is or add more? Thanks guys
It’ll depend on where you want to put the acros. If in the middle directly under the light, then one light may do for now. However, if you also want acros outside of the intensity cone, you will likely need two lights to keep an even spread. Also, as the acros grow out, you may need fill light, as they grow and shade themselves and other coral. But to get ahead of it, two lights should give you some margin for growth for another year or two.
 
I think 2 minimum. When I used them, I had 6 over my 6ft tank (along with 4 T5’s). It was not overkill IMO but I had to place them low inside my canopy so the spread was not optimal.

I think they are great lights. Mine lasted many years. I think the secret to longevity with these is running at a lowish output and blowing out the fans periodically.
 
blowing out the fans periodically.
I very much agree with this. I had a Kessil a360we crap out on me, I thought for sure I'd have to replace this light, but in the end I just blew the dust out of the fan, and the light has been working fine ever since. I now try to blow them out when I think of it, maybe a couple times a year or so.
 
I very much agree with this. I had a Kessil a360we crap out on me, I thought for sure I'd have to replace this light, but in the end I just blew the dust out of the fan, and the light has been working fine ever since. I now try to blow them out when I think of it, maybe a couple times a year or so.
Same here. I blew mine out every 6 months. All was good after I started doing that.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new