How many Mastertronic users do we have in this group ?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Emergency tag removed. ;)

Man, I wish I had a Mastertronic. I love my Alkatronic. I'd add the Mastertronic in a heartbeat.

sbreefco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had many, many issues setting it up, with it being a new/small business there is little to no support on it. They tell you to go to their Facebook group for support. Not a fan of that.

Right now it seems to be working, but I would estimate that I have spent 40+ hours in 4 weeks tinkering with it, replacing needles and changing things to make it work "correctly". I'm not sure of how accurate they are as the Alk reading from the Mastertronic is 6.45dKh and the Alkatronic right beside it is 9.25dKh, however I am more looking for stability than accuracy and it does seem to be providing that.

The fact that it uses off the shelf test kits is good, however there is so much waste becasue you have to order multiple kits to fill the little 20mil bottles. To have the ability to purchase just the chemicals needed would be better in my opinion.

The app for it leaves a whole lot to be desired, it is almost like that was an afterthought.

I purchase something like this to either save myself time, energy or money. This does none of those. It is a great little gadget if your into gadgets, and it has huge potential. For me it just isn't there yet.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had many, many issues setting it up, with it being a new/small business there is little to no support on it. They tell you to go to their Facebook group for support. Not a fan of that.

Right now it seems to be working, but I would estimate that I have spent 40+ hours in 4 weeks tinkering with it, replacing needles and changing things to make it work "correctly". I'm not sure of how accurate they are as the Alk reading from the Mastertronic is 6.45dKh and the Alkatronic right beside it is 9.25dKh, however I am more looking for stability than accuracy and it does seem to be providing that.

The fact that it uses off the shelf test kits is good, however there is so much waste becasue you have to order multiple kits to fill the little 20mil bottles. To have the ability to purchase just the chemicals needed would be better in my opinion.

The app for it leaves a whole lot to be desired, it is almost like that was an afterthought.

I purchase something like this to either save myself time, energy or money. This does none of those. It is a great little gadget if your into gadgets, and it has huge potential. For me it just isn't there yet.
Yikes. You like your Alkatronic though? Debated doing that paired with hydros as an aquarium controller myself. Liked the idea of MT having all the tests and didn't need multiple daily alk tests.

sbreefco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, initially I had issues with the Alkatronic as well, but it was just from the little filter wanting to float and getting air in the line. Once it got that worked out, it seems to work great.

I am either going to get rid of these and just get a Neptune with the Trident or get both and make some videos of the differences, haven't decided yet.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought the Alkatronic, Mastertronic and Dosetronic. The app is not great but overall I think that the Mastertronic is a fine piece of hardware and I would recommend it, same for the Alkatronic. I keep doing manual tests with Hanna checkers and red sea for magnesium so I can cross check and gain more confidence.
I will soon reduce the frequency of manual tests as results seem to match. Magnesium is reported higher in Mastertronic than RedSea, Aquaforest and ICP but the others are close enough.
I found a way to pull data from all 3 devices to a long term database and now I get better visualization. I wish their API was public as it took me a while to figure it out.
Probably the major annoyance for me is that coralvue is selling the replacement needles and silicon caps with an insane markup and you need to replace them monthly. Fortunately the community is finding alternatives just like they did with the reagents for Alkatronic.

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following your other thread @MikeTheNewbie on alternative parts.
@sbreefco, I am still trying to get my hands on a Mastertronic. I have the Alkatronic and Dosetronic and I like them both. If you are looking to get rid of your Mastertronic hit me up! :)

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the alkatroninc and I love it. I have a mastertronic, but since it arrived I have been travelling non-stop and it didn't seem like the type of gadget to setup right before going out of town repeatedly. Perhaps next week I am back home and will get it up and running.

Dave B

Back