How many of us "don't test" aside from salinity?!?

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how many of us don't test for anything aside from salinity?

Now granted I have a small Deskmate Classic tank (4.8 gallons), but the only thing I test for is salinity. When I started this tank, I knew I could have gone one of 2 ways, test like crazy to hit the "right" numbers across the board, or don't. I went the latter.

To be honest, in my whole reefkeeping career (21 years), I"ve never really tested much, and have had good success. I know I'm probably in a small minority of people that run tanks like this, but I went slow and steady with my tank. Cycled it properly for almost 2 months, Added the CUC, then fish, then corals, and all has been going well.

I stay consistent with water changes every 8-10 days, depending on how weekends work as this tank is in my office, but aside from daily feeding, manually topping off with about 1/16 cup of water a day (as I have a lid on the tank), this method works for me!

What do you guys do. How many others approach their tanks like I do.

Discuss :cool:

Tank as of 8/30/23 (6.5 months old)
IMG_6062 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably depends a lot on your expectations - high performance tanks are going to have controllers and they will probably also be tested more regularly to make sure the calibrations haven't drifted.

Us casual folk who aren't measuring success by how much we can frag...it's more of curiousity thing. I've been testing regularly because I don't mind doing it and I am interested in the affects of different feeding and w/c schedules.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank years ago, everything was always fine, and my test results were always pretty much the same - so I stopped bothering.

Everything died.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably depends a lot on your expectations - high performance tanks are going to have controllers and they will probably also be tested more regularly to make sure the calibrations haven't drifted.

Us casual folk who aren't measuring success by how much we can frag...it's more of curiousity thing. I've been testing regularly because I don't mind doing it and I am interested in the affects of different feeding and w/c schedules.
I would definitely agree that If I had a big tank (anything over 30-50g) testing would have to be a weekly job

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me! I do test occasionally but for the most part I don’t. I perform regular water changes. When I tested I would obsess over numbers and that led to me chasing numbers and doing more harm.
I think that's what actually led to my downfall in my old 29Gallon BioCube.

I didn't stay consistent with my water changes, tried playing catchup, and then when the numbers told a certain story, I would then overcorrect.

Here the KISS method is working well with the Deskmate, as long as I'm staying consistent with my water changes.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely, if ever do any manually tests anymore. Here at the office we are running a 134-gallon mixed reef cube tank, a 5-gallon Fluvial, a 10-gallon Waterbox and a newly setup 15-gallon IM tank.

The 134-gallon tank has a Trident that i run, but it has never really been calibrated, so i dont know the actual numbers, but i use it as more of a trend indicator, and then through observation of the tank, make small increments adjustments.

For the smaller nano tanks, two of them are are all pretty easy softie tank - one is even growing some maco algaes. it's almost self maintaining. i dont test them, and do a monthly water change.

For the 15-gallon, I think I might try and try making that a mixed reef. It has some easy (but sensitive) birdsnets growing in there now, and it's not dying, so maybe...

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely, if ever do any manually tests anymore. Here at the office we are running a 134-gallon mixed reef cube tank, a 5-gallon Fluvial, a 10-gallon Waterbox and a newly setup 15-gallon IM tank.

The 134-gallon tank has a Trident that i run, but it has never really been calibrated, so i dont know the actual numbers, but i use it as more of a trend indicator, and then through observation of the tank, make small increments adjustments.

For the smaller nano tanks, two of them are are all pretty easy softie tank - one is even growing some maco algaes. it's almost self maintaining. i dont test them, and do a monthly water change.

For the 15-gallon, I think I might try and try making that a mixed reef. It has some easy (but sensitive) birdsnets growing in there now, and it's not dying, so maybe...
I like it. They're doing great b/c of all the RFG's you've got in the tank (my Deskmate is LOVING mine!).

I'm doing a mixed reef over here and everyone's happy. SPS are polyps out and encrusting. Zoa's are adding polyps, chalices, favias and lord's are encursting and making new heads/eyes, and my GSP on the back wall is finally off the plug and onto the wall!

Let the good times roll!

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never test. My LFS on the other hand... I take a sample in about once a month. Compare calcium/alk/magnesium to the previous month. Make sure phosphate/nitrate are normal. Calculate how much of the big 3 to dose. Come home and dose. That's about all the testing.

sesbalders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take a sample once month or two to the lfs with a digital checker, have done for years. To be honest I did test regularly (tropical) and found I ended up chasing too much and causing huge swings.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So how many of us don't test for anything aside from salinity?

Now granted I have a small Deskmate Classic tank (4.8 gallons), but the only thing I test for is salinity. When I started this tank, I knew I could have gone one of 2 ways, test like crazy to hit the "right" numbers across the board, or don't. I went the latter.

To be honest, in my whole reefkeeping career (21 years), I"ve never really tested much, and have had good success. I know I'm probably in a small minority of people that run tanks like this, but I went slow and steady with my tank. Cycled it properly for almost 2 months, Added the CUC, then fish, then corals, and all has been going well.

I stay consistent with water changes every 8-10 days, depending on how weekends work as this tank is in my office, but aside from daily feeding, manually topping off with about 1/16 cup of water a day (as I have a lid on the tank), this method works for me!

What do you guys do. How many others approach their tanks like I do.

Discuss :cool:

Tank as of 8/30/23 (6.5 months old)
IMG_6062 copy.jpg
I was once in this boat but with now loads of coral and fish, I have monitors and follow up with testing every few weeks as I do daily water changes

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
With my softy tanks, I feel testing isn't needed. I'm not saying don't test, just isn't for me.
I haven't done any testing except salinity in probably 35 years on my softy tanks. Just regular water changes.
On my lps tank I did test because I was dosing chemicals. I feel if you are adding something extra to the tank you need to be aware of the numbers.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 50 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back