How many of y'all run moon lights?

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about the moon and how its never always dark in the wild just seeing gif its a good idea IDK
You dont know what dark is until you've seen how dark it gets in the wild. And Im pretty sure that the intensity of light that would be provided by a "moon light" would look pretty interesting but fuel algae growth.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an AP9X with a moon cycle. So sometimes a new moon blacks out the tank, but most of the time the lights run at varying intensities. Kessil gives a choice of a blue moonlight or red, I've gone with the blue. There are no algae problems to speak of, and nothing in my tank seems to mind the moonlight. Moon cycles (along with water temperatures, currents/tidal forces, sunrise/sunset times, and other factors) contribute to spawning of both fish and coral in the wild, so I figure why not.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lsm module on my apex and run Neptune’s moon lights it works in unison with the actual lunar cycle… it’s not gonna promote algae growth that’s silly! lol.. it’s pretty cool to view at night.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont know what dark is until you've seen how dark it gets in the wild. And Im pretty sure that the intensity of light that would be provided by a "moon light" would look pretty interesting but fuel algae growth.
barely visible light will not fuel algae growth, especially in the blue spectrum to which most "moonlights" will be tuned.

The visible light in "the wild" is never truly pitch "dark" with no visible light. Our galaxy is full of stars that illuminate our sky, even on the darkest of moonless nights where there is zero human produced light visible.

The visible light in the sky (day or night) varies by hour and latitude and longitude and cloud cover for every spot on the planet. Shallow reefs (and deep) will have varying degrees of illumination thought the day and night, based on that same fact.

Last edited:

BionicReef73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the lunar module running on my apex. Very cool and ramps up and down following the natural cycle. Personally I like it and I find the fish don't get spooked as easily. And the look is great. I haven't had any adverse effects of having them.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a lunar module on my apex. I like the way the tank looks dimly lit with the moon lighting.
I got them because I figured if there was already some light in the tank it wouldn’t be as much of a shock if someone turned on the room lights (my tank is in the living room). I don’t know if it helped with that, but I got it for cheap and it definitely doesn’t hurt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive been running moon lights 2 decades

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back