Skimmer.Query

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am planning on getting a RO Regal-150 SSS Space Saver Skimmer. Now, I have NO doubt this will handle a heavy bio-load in a 90G DT (as the specs state that this skimmer is rated at 100G for said issue) . But what about a 120G? I'm seriously considering a 30G upgrade. Now, I've been watching videos from primarily the BRSTv channel. They state when choosing a skimmer, it's perfectly fine to get a skimmer that is rated LESS THAN the tank size (within reason, of course). So what do y'all think? My current stocking plan is to come close to the 1 inch of fish to 3 gallons of water. Not sure if this number is still valid, as my info is 12 years old. I see limitations now are in cubes of food. LOL, that confuses me. TIA. And j mean it. Y'all have giving me SO much good info in my planning phase. My goal is to maximize the safety and security of my ecosystem.

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on stocking, feeding and of course other mechanical filtration. Will you be running filter socks or a fleece roller? I know that when running rollers almost every manufacturer recommends going smaller on a skimmer. I would go for the skimmer, worse case you upgrade later, although I don't think you'll need to. Equipment has come a long way and is much more efficient these days. You will always get better performance from a properly sized or even undersized skimmer than from an oversized once.

OP
OP
PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had planned filter socks. I looked into a FR but found them a tad cost prohibitive with the $$ I had set aside for launch. And I will have upwards of a year to make any changes once I start.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back