How many of you guys are running multiple tanks from a single sump?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many of you are running multiple tanks off of a single sump? This could be multiple DTs, DT and frag tank, DT and refugium, or any other combination of multiple tanks. Tell us about your system and maybe show off a photo or 2 (or 3).

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is run from a single sump.
210 display, 40 breeder frag tank / QT, 40 breeder custom sump.
Return pump is plumbed to a manifold with shutoff valves. Manifold feeds my tanks and external skimmer.
If I want to turn my 40 breeder into a QT, I just turn the shutoff valve and it’s an instant QT tank. Using a single sump with manifold to feed everything has always worked out well for me over the years.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My system is run from a single sump.
210 display, 40 breeder frag tank / QT, 40 breeder custom sump.
Return pump is plumbed to a manifold with shutoff valves. Manifold feeds my tanks and external skimmer.
If I want to turn my 40 breeder into a QT, I just turn the shutoff valve and it’s an instant QT tank. Using a single sump with manifold to feed everything has always worked out well for me over the years.
Cool! What pump are you running them all from?

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a Simplicity 3200 DC pump now, works well.

I have had a few different pumps over the years.
Originally, was running a 3600 gph pond master AC pump but that was way overkill for my tank and switched it out to the simplicity pump.

Before that, I always ran mag drive pumps, mainly because they are a very simply design and were pretty much bullet proof.
I still have a mag drive 24 that is like 15 years old, still works.
I use it to mix my salt in the brute trash cans now, only thing I have even had to replace on any of my mag drive pumps over the years, was impellers. Those were all older pumps but as far as I know, design is still the same and mag drive should still be solid pumps.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 Gallon display upstairs in my office, and a 50 gallon frag tank plumbed into the same sump. There are lots of things to consider when doing this.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see some remote sump setups to multiple tanks, as I am considering this….show em off reefers!

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be nervous doing this, even though it would be cool and convenient. If you get a disease outbreak in one system, there theoretically isn’t much stopping it from spreading to every other system. That's why some LFS prefer individual tank filtration.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be nervous doing this, even though it would be cool and convenient. If you get a disease outbreak in one system, there theoretically isn’t much stopping it from spreading to every other system. That's why some LFS prefer individual tank filtration.
I'd say while yes it is of concern, its not as much to a hobbyist as to a LFS. The LFS is going to see thousands of fish come and go. While a hobbyist really only has to worry about initial introduction of each individual fish. I think most people who have multiple systems plumbed together have one of two reefing mantra's. Either disease and pest management, or having a very dedicated quarantine system and regimen in place.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say while yes it is of concern, its not as much to a hobbyist as to a LFS. The LFS is going to see thousands of fish come and go. While a hobbyist really only has to worry about initial introduction of each individual fish. I think most people who have multiple systems plumbed together have one of two reefing mantra's. Either disease and pest management, or having a very dedicated quarantine system and regimen in place.
That's fair :)

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
running 100G display to 60 gallon sump, split to a 40G frag tank, draining to a 20 gallon refugium which is cascading back to the sump.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you are running multiple tanks off of a single sump? This could be multiple DTs, DT and frag tank, DT and refugium, or any other combination of multiple tanks. Tell us about your system and maybe show off a photo or 2 (or 3).
Running a 75 grow out + 50 frag tank off a 75 sump. Mostly fully automated, roller, apex, battery backup, auto-filling ATO that's run with a float valve lol. All held up by an 8 ft shop table from the big box store with the orange sign. kalk + 3 part, lighting is 4 coral care g2s that I picked up on clearance for peanuts. Really industrial lighting, but works a charm. Probably going to scrap the 75 grow out for another frag tank for convenience of access. Excuse the black and white pic as I just took it through my night cam monitor.

IMG_3616.JPG

jlnielsen13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,
My whole system is run on a single sump: 300 gallon reef on first floor, 140 gallon reef on the other side of the house first floor and mangrove tank all gravity feed into a sump in the basement.
You can see the setup in this video:
Jim's mixed reef

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back